IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Journey: Jersey to Indy
8/29/11, 10:07 AM   #11
Re: The Journey: Jersey to Indy
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

John,

I applaudyour ambitious agenda young man. I will also encourage you to follow your dreams but only after you secure the plan B education part. Nothing is forever so you want to make sure that you have marketable skills if for any chance circumstances arise that you are not planning on. I see so many young people who have no dreams or ambitions and end up in a job they hate and no where else to go. Keep us updated on your journey and we look forward to seeing you here in Indiana some day.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/29/11, 9:52 PM   #12
johnreuterracing

Thank you Mud Packer! I agree on securing something with education. As I stated, the two times I have been to Indianapolis, it seemed to me like the racing industry was booming. Not sure still if I want to go after an engineering degree to maybe build cars, or go after some form of media or marketing degree. I have always been interested in promoting a race, and had some pretty neat ideas. I was considering putting something together for the micros back east, but just havn't gotten to it yet. I am considering a trip out to the convention in December in Indianapolis to meet some people, hand out some resumes and what not. As long as I get the ok from my parents and can get a few days off of work, I'll be out there. I am home schooled(wanted to possibly get an internship building cars last year, so decided home school was a good route, but the building cars didn't work out), so missing school isn't going to be a problem.

8/31/11, 12:22 AM   #13
njtraveler

John, it can be done. Coming from New Egypt N.J. to Indy as a mechanic myself, I can tell you that it's possible but it's not for the faint of heart. As a driver it will be even more challenging. I started as a driver at Flemington and NES, without the money behind me I had to relegate to the wrench end to stay in it. Things have gotten real tough out here in the last couple of years, but will be back real soon. If you are one to make it through the tough times, you will be in great shape when it gets good.

8/31/11, 4:31 PM   #14
johnreuterracing

Thank you man. I live 15 minutes from New Egypt! Im sure every racer/ mechanic has gone through tough times. You have to pay your dues. I will do whatever I can to make this dream come true. So far everyone on here has been really nice to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

8/31/11, 11:45 PM   #15
SC90

John,

You sound like an intelligent young man with a good head on your shoulders. Chase your dream. You only have one opportunity, and you are still young enough to pursue what you love.

I wanted to share this commencement address given by Steve Jobs, former CEO of Apple, in 2005. I think you will find some words of encouragement if you read this.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/j...bs-061505.html

"Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."

Sharon
USAC Silver Crown #90
Last edited by SC90; 8/31/11 at 11:46 PM.

9/1/11, 6:45 PM   #16
johnreuterracing

Thank you Sharon. Those words are definitely great for inspiration! Thank you for sharing that!
Posted via Mobile Device

9/1/11, 8:11 PM   #17
LocalYokel

Jobs in the racing industry around Indy are getting harder and harder to come by. I know this year alot of the openwheel shops had to let people go because they weren't busy enough to justify all the help. It seems like that's not a problem unique to the racing industry though.
You're in a good spot though John. It sounds like you wont be coming out this way for 4 to 5 years if Im correct. Since you're young I doubt you have many bills. If you get a decent paying job while you're in college I have no doubt that you can save up more than enough money to purchase your own equipment. I realize you'd like to get a ride, but who wouldn't. Save your money and buy a sprint or midget when you get to Indiana with the money you've saved. You can get a very competative car for around 20k. Get as much seat time as you can in your own equipment. If you can post a few good finishes, you'll be able to get a ride for at least a few races. After that its all gunna be about talent.
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

And most importantly give it a shot before you have any serious life commitments. Believe me, a wife, a child, and bills will always have to come before racing.
Go for it while you have nothing to lose. Being broke at 25 is alot different than being broke at 35...
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

And one more final thought. My family and I moved from New Jersey to Indiana to be involved in the racing world. Be prepaired for the culture shock! Racing is fun, but you're also going to be here for the other 8 months out of the year. Some people who've moved from out east love it here. Im not one of those people. Be prepaired to possibly be somewhat of an outcast. And forget about ever finding a good pizza or bagel place!
Posted via Mobile Device

9/1/11, 9:04 PM   #18
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

I just want to say good luck! I'll be watching for you!

9/1/11, 9:48 PM   #19
Jerry Spencer

Go buy you a new Harley and just take off and see the world, there is so much to see and so little time to see it. Get a new one so you have the warranty and go. J.M.O.

Jerry#66j
stida.com

9/1/11, 10:45 PM   #20
Dalton Dietrich

Race Count This Year: 55

Ive been keeping a pretty close eye on this thread....and everything that has been said to john is words of encouragement for me as well. My dream is also to race non-wing sprint cars or midgets, but i just started driving a full size sprint (coming from micros like john), and I work on one every week. I think im gonna listen to what was said, try to find a decent job for a few years, and make the move when I have some decent money saved up. So, thanks Yokel! Although college doesn't look like a high possibility for me, I am fortunate enough to have a car owner, and "teammate" that are some of the best to teach me anything I want/need to know, as i've said before, Knowledge is key, experience is golden, and with these guys, I've got both!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Journey: Jersey to Indy