IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Whereabouts and what happened to's
8/17/11, 9:22 PM   #91
Re: Whereabouts and what happened to's
smith19

bernie graybeal.

8/17/11, 9:31 PM   #92
treecitytornado

The one that took down the light string going into 3 was one of the names on my original list. None other than, "Flying" Jack Wright in the 16 car! Sounds like we could talk about some "Burg" memories sometime Chuck!
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

The first time Gordon was at the "Burg" was at the Hoosier Fall Classic in a Kelly Kinser backup car, but it was a 47x Butch and Janie Smith owned car I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

I also got a pic of him and Mel Johnson in victory lane at the "Burg" in his only ride in Marshall Campbell's #20 car. I talked to Marshall a few years ago and he didn't have a pic of that night so I sent him an 8x10.
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, mtek56
8/17/11, 9:54 PM   #93
Eatin Dirt

Chuck you are correct about the fact that Mel was promoting the track at the time of the Bland wreck. I was actually working for him in the pits at the time. All of us guys that worked there would gather before the freature and put in 5bucks each and pick drivers. The night Larry hit the wall he was my pick and I thought I was about to make some cash. That came to a abrupt end to say the least.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
8/17/11, 10:05 PM   #94
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

JT brought it up. They did have some very good winged features there when mel had it super tacky. We often got started late due to him having to take a extra 45 minutes packing.

Pup in the family car, Briscoe too. Staab alternating his own ride and a black 6. Bowling brothers, Bixler, Bland, Rodney Ritter, Randy and Kelly Kinser with a occational Bob kinser. Every HFC was spent seeing if Kenny Jacobs could break his own record in the Genesse Beer Wagon. Charlie Fisher, Gary Wright , Todd and another Shields. to name a few.

Some Canadian in a 5n came in and won it one year. Gee?
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/17/11 at 10:07 PM.

8/17/11, 11:04 PM   #95
Downey44

How about Tony Solomito? He was a gas man back in the day driving the 4R Quarries sponsored car I believe. Bob Talent is another one from days that was a Burg regular. Art Wendt also ran there quite often before going to run with the All Stars. Believe he owned Wendt Trucking up in northern part of state.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Suck your shoes off super tacky. However I was more talking about the time frame. Late 80s?
With a cushion or more like a wall you could run if you could figure out how to keep it from sucking you in!

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
8/18/11, 10:22 AM   #96
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downey44 View Post
How about Tony Solomito? He was a gas man back in the day driving the 4R Quarries sponsored car I believe. Bob Talent is another one from days that was a Burg regular. Art Wendt also ran there quite often before going to run with the All Stars. Believe he owned Wendt Trucking up in northern part of state.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

With a cushion or more like a wall you could run if you could figure out how to keep it from sucking you in!
Made you famous! Or put you on your lid. LOL

8/18/11, 10:50 AM   #97
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

back to the original idea here for a moment...
Ron Smoker was from NY and drove a DOT truck. the year he won the Championship at !6th St. Speedway he was gonna come to our banquet but NY had a big snowfall and he had to do double shifts with a snowplow.
Joe Roush can be found at our annual Monte Carlo night party...doubling down.
& recently, at THAT, i spoke to a guy on the handicapped seating area (helping his father i think) that said "i used to drive these cars", i asked his name and he said "you wouldn't remember me, I'm will newlin", and i think i shocked him by replying Will "the thrill" newland? he still looks great but not sure what business he's in, just a story. bob
Last edited by HARFprez; 8/18/11 at 10:52 AM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Mud Packer, STP
8/18/11, 3:57 PM   #98
SprintManDave

I talked to Will Newland at Paragon during the K.I.S.S. race this summer,and he still looks like he could be very competitive.

8/18/11, 6:34 PM   #99
treecitytornado

Its Newlin.
Posted via Mobile Device

8/18/11, 7:08 PM   #100
old timer

Where is Larrry Martin?

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Whereabouts and what happened to's