IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Women in Racing Exhibit
6/30/11, 8:46 PM   #1
Women in Racing Exhibit
deannalynn

I finally had a chance on Tuesday to check out the Indiana State Museum's Women in Racing display which was created by the IUPUI public history folks. Was disappointed not to see anything on marketing guru Linda Vaughn or some of the 'first in the pits' female photogs like Sarah Wright (IMS/IRP/THAT/etc). Didn't see anything about Kitty O'Neil, either. Of course, they had a pic of Shirley Muldowney looking like a movie star and Danica Patrick striking a pose next to her Japanese trophy. I was most inspired by an old Stutz mechanic's uniform on display in a different display of the museum.

All in all, not a bad free display, and you never know what's going to inspire you.

6/30/11, 9:01 PM   #2
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Muldowney belongs
Posted via Mobile Device

6/30/11, 9:30 PM   #3
Re: Women in Racing Exhibit
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
Muldowney belongs
Posted via Mobile Device
They ALL do. Even Danica. It took me until this year to realize how motivated she's been all these years and that if Mecum didn't send her to Europe for her training, she probably would have gotten chewed up and spit out by the USAC world. That's just speculation though. Just my opinion based on prevailing attitudes. I'm just saying that I would have liked to have seen more about the behind the scenes femmes.

7/1/11, 3:25 PM   #4
indybail

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannalynn View Post
They ALL do. Even Danica. It took me until this year to realize how motivated she's been all these years and that if Mecum didn't send her to Europe for her training, she probably would have gotten chewed up and spit out by the USAC world. That's just speculation though. Just my opinion based on prevailing attitudes. I'm just saying that I would have liked to have seen more about the behind the scenes femmes.
I think recent history has shown USAC has been fine with female drivers. Predating Danica, Sarah Fisher stepped from USAC directly into Indy Cars. I have also been impressed by the female youngsters competing at the USAC Elite 8 shows at the Indianapolis Speedrome.

7/17/11, 10:02 PM   #5
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybail View Post
I think recent history has shown USAC has been fine with female drivers. Predating Danica, Sarah Fisher stepped from USAC directly into Indy Cars. I have also been impressed by the female youngsters competing at the USAC Elite 8 shows at the Indianapolis Speedrome.
So, did you get to see the exhibit?[COLOR="Black"]

By the way, there were about 120 sprint cars running in Indiana alone on Saturday night. How many of them were female?

7/17/11, 10:15 PM   #6
Sickfan

Well maybe you could buy one and race it if you have such a issue, just a thought... I believe miranda throckmorton races still, what about stephanie mockler in her modified (is that okay with you), and Jessica Z was just mentioned on IOW. Whats the point and what is your solution?

7/18/11, 12:28 AM   #7
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickfan View Post
Jessica Z was just mentioned on IOW.
I know, I'm the one who mentioned her feature spot at Eldora Friday night. And if you haven't noticed, there is more discussion about her personal life than her talent and skills. It's the same problem that Erin Crocker and Shirley Muldowney had. Somehow only a few female drivers have managed to avoid the double standard and double-edged sword of being a female in a sport which is senselessly dominated by men.

The marketing degree people want to bring more people to the races. Over 50% of the world's population is female. More female drivers might equate to more female fans, since young girls can more easily identify with female 'heroes'. If the racing community continues to make it even more difficult to be a driver just because someone is female, it may continue to miss out on an already alienated fan base. The attitudes towards women in the stands emulates the attitudes in the pits. Women have come a long way, but there is still a long way to go.

7/18/11, 12:34 AM   #8
Sickfan

I agree that it would be good for the sport to have more female drivers/fans...but the fact that you think they are dominated is not very accurate to me. Many female gassers in the past have my respect.. The fact is with Erin and Jessica at least, of course things are always going to be talked about if they are dating people in the racing world (makes sense doesn't it?), but I don't think saying they are pretty or whatever is bringing down the talent level they have.

7/18/11, 12:48 AM   #9
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickfan View Post
The fact is with Erin and Jessica at least, of course things are always going to be talked about if they are dating people in the racing world (makes sense doesn't it?)
There is a double standard... when people talk about male race car drivers, it does not become a discussion about how cute they are or who they are dating.

1 member likes this post: Russ
7/18/11, 1:01 AM   #10
Sickfan

Deanna, really? Obviously its a rough transition for women since it was only men way back when, but that is simply not the case today..please give it a rest. I have more respect for Sarah Fisher than a lot of guys I see running weekly. And if you don't think all the women in the pits or see drivers who come in the stands aren't checking the guys out you are being pretty one sided. If young girls wanna race, they will..PERIOD. Most women, especially who want to race are usually pretty damn head strong. Can you bring anything else positive to this conversation or a possible solution. And if you think I don't respect women, I will just say I have taken more female friends (and family members) to racing events than their male counter parts...that should speak loudly

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Women in Racing Exhibit