IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thank You Gerry Olsen!
7/4/11, 6:08 PM   #11
Re: Thank You Gerry Olsen!
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinthead View Post
I believe I was at just about every race when Olsen was the promotor of THAT and I can't recall the track ever being in bad shape. Heck I thought the track was always in pretty good shape then. Maybe there was one or two, but overall, the track was usually in good shape. I didn't agree with how he handled a lot of things, but when it came to prepping the track, I thought he did a good job. I'm sure I will get attacked for saying what I said, but that's just my opinion. I dont care who is prepping the track, if they dont have the equipment, you are going to get what people saw this weekend.

I sure hope things turn around when I'm there for Sprintweek.....
Agreed. Yes he had many a problem as a promoter, but when it came to track prep, bottom line, he was very good! He also did the prep at Kokomo during the Dave Duncan years, and it was some of the best track prep at that the old Kokomo had ever seen!
I honestly don't believe he was hired for track prep, as he was waiting for a pit pass, long after activities were initially scheduled to begin. Wrong as this may seem to many, if I was promoting at Terre Haute, I actually would hire Mr. Olsen for track prep.
There, I said it.
I also actually disagree with a lot of the 11 pages of negativity on the other post, and like one post did say, appreciate the effort to try and keep some old school traditions. I also believe they were in a no win situation... But that is for another post.
One thought I did have: A good way to possibly make up some good will... Run the 100 lap Silver Crown feature race the same night as the ISW race... Sounds like a fun night to me!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk
7/4/11, 6:19 PM   #12
SHORTBUS

Race Count This Year: 35
Race Count Last Year: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
Agreed. Yes he had many a problem as a promoter, but when it came to track prep, bottom line, he was very good! He also did the prep at Kokomo during the Dave Duncan years, and it was some of the best track prep at that the old Kokomo had ever seen!
I honestly don't believe he was hired for track prep, as he was waiting for a pit pass, long after activities were initially scheduled to begin. Wrong as this may seem to many, if I was promoting at Terre Haute, I actually would hire Mr. Olsen for track prep.
There, I said it.
I also actually disagree with a lot of the 11 pages of negativity on the other post, and like one post did say, appreciate the effort to try and keep some old school traditions. I also believe they were in a no win situation... But that is for another post.
One thought I did have: A good way to possibly make up some good will... Run the 100 lap Silver Crown feature race the same night as the ISW race... Sounds like a fun night to me!
Olsen did to a fairly good job at track prep.The only thing was to keep him away from the money.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk
7/4/11, 7:33 PM   #13
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTBUS View Post
Olsen did to a fairly good job at track prep.The only thing was to keep him away from the money.
I heard this also from someone in the stands that worked for him years ago on the track. After this guy(I never met him b4) saw olsen walking around down there, he ran down there to say hi to him. Then when he came back and he told me he was just asked to help Gerry with the sprint week track prep. So I guess we will see.
The Vigo Fair shows the Demo derby on the track Monday followed by the Silly Safaris??? on Tuesday maybe that won't be on the track. I hope not because they are gonna need all the time they can get. Let's hope it don't rain.
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

7/4/11, 8:40 PM   #14
terrehautian

The Safaris thing is a grand stand event, but maybe it will only be in the Grand stand.

7/4/11, 8:47 PM   #15
sprinthead

My dad and I always used to say that Olsen needed a partner to deal with the public and just let Olsen stick with track prep. The guy just stepped on his d*ck a lot when it came to dealing with the public.

1 member likes this post:
7/5/11, 6:11 PM   #16
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Gerry Olsen's track prep wasn't the thing that screwed up the surface at THAT, it was the dirt he brought in the first year he took over. The WoO's at the time were trying to get all the tracks to put in that type of dirt because it stays smoother and the cushion doesn't clump up as much. Unfortunately the trade off is that it gets dusty easier. Even when he watered it good there were plumes of powder trailing the cars. Novotny told me he tried to get rid of it a couple years ago and it helped as we could see for the last 2 years. There are mounds of it in the back of the pits off three and four. I just don't think he got quite all of it yet. He told me Olsen got the dirt from a rock quarry and didn't think it had the right composition, and I agreed. Bob Sargent would be a much better choice as he did an awesome job last year. They also had a different water truck last year that really poured it out. The Fairboard made another huge mistake not staying with last years' promoter and I think it should be obvious to them now. I would've given that group the deal they wanted based on track prep alone. One promoter is better than zero which is close to what they have now. I will keep coming back because I think it is such an awesome track. Hopefully they'll redeem themselves for sprint week!

7/5/11, 6:18 PM   #17
John P Huss

I've been around dirt track racing since 1969 as a little kid. My first race was at Angell Park Speedway and I will tell you all
out there the track should have never been bladed. It should have been ripped up early in the day at least 4 inches. I arrived
at 10am. Many push trucks should have rolled it in for 1 hour. Champ Dirt Cars should have finished getting the track ready.
I saw some pretty good racing at Belle Clair 7-1 & 7-2 with 100 degree temps both days. Guess I'm old school.
Best Regards,
John

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Mud Packer, sw1911
7/5/11, 8:11 PM   #18
dustbowl

Last year proved that the dirt is just fine. I believe the OConnors prepped the track 3 times, and the first time it was good, second time it was better, and the third time it was nearly perfect. All it takes is the know-how and the proper equipment. I would be putting them on speed dial and dialing them up and give them what they want to prep it the rest of the season, if they want a decent track that is.

7/5/11, 8:32 PM   #19
chop

Bring Olsen up to Grand Rapids. We would love to have a chance to get even with him.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thank You Gerry Olsen!