IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Traction control
6/8/11, 8:07 PM   #31
Re: Traction control
RBurns17

I just don't believe there's any circumstance where I would be happy about winning with such a device on the car, legal or not.

But to answer OP's question, there are devices that can detect it without even touching the car. I did a report about the negative effects of traction control in motorsports in high school and at the time someone had developed a device that could be pointed at a car and would analyze what percent chance that the car was using traction control. So, while rare, there are devices out there that don't even need to look at the car to determine if traction control is present.

While some people do run it to a degree that can be heard from the stands, the people winning with it aren't. You would never know because the line between good throttle control and electronic assistance can be very fine.

6/9/11, 12:53 AM   #32
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrp4554 View Post
How could someone tech a car if you suspected that they had traction control? Is it possible? Just wondering.
You can't tech a keen right foot.

6/9/11, 10:56 AM   #33
TQ29m

Actually, we were doing some R&D for a new ignition system, for a manufacturer out of Iowa. He didn't come out and call it "traction" control, but you could say it was, however, it was a manual system, with 4 advance curves built in, and programable, however, you controlled it with 2 toggle switches, and it did have some effect on wheel spin, we ran it most of the season, and at the time, it was RPM limited, by a fault in the encoder wheel, which he later fixed, but I can't bring myself to try it again. Maybe someday. Bob

6/10/11, 4:28 PM   #34
Traction Control Used??..& Short Fields??....
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

[quote=Phylo82;231301]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deannalynn View Post
That sucks you live in Ohio because I haven't seen a 'miserable' car count at an Indiana dirt track in years...... [COLOR="Black"]

There were 13 sprint cars at L-Burg Friday evening.
14 NW Sprint cars at new Az. Spdway Sat. in Apache Junction??...with some of the top "Local" front runners not supporting this new Phx. area track for one reason or another??...only Tucson "USA" was runing a wing show to conflict??.........

6/12/11, 10:10 AM   #35
DAD

I decided to go to lawrenceburg for Indiana midget week show. The track was not in the best of shape when we got there just before the start of the midget heats. My back was still sore so I decided to sit in the grandstands on the front straight. The midgets came out for their heats, some of the younger drivers were buzzing the tires all the way around the big 3/8 mile track thinking they were flying, and the more experienced guys were working the throttle and hooking up their tires and passing tese kids like they were tied down. It was hot and as soon as the tires began to buzz (about 30 feet before turn exit) white smoke would come off the left rear for about 10-20 feet they would back off hook up and take-off. I would call that cshuman traction control.
The sprints came out next for their heats. The white smoke on the faster cars was just like the midgets, short burst back off then go, all except for one car I was watching this car made 10 or 15 little puffs of white smoke through the turn and was really hooked up and moving forward this looked more like Davis traction control to me. Later on in the show this same car busteed the cushion and instead of hitting the throttle and busting the tires to loosen the car up and run off the cushion the damed thing fell on its face just couldn't get those big old tires to break loose. Lawrenceburg doesn't out law this type of traction control only your wallet (about $7000.00) limits if put one of these thing on your car. If you intend to move past larenceburg sprints like USAC you need to work on the old cshuman device to move forward it's all in the butt.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Traction control