Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kunz hires Kyle Larson
2/14/11, 1:21 AM   #11
Re: Kunz hires Kyle Larson
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
hear he brought about 6 mil. with him.:2:
I heard Red Bull paid 2 mill for Kunz to "hire Cole"

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

I only heard bout the midget ride

2/14/11, 9:30 PM   #12
Tony Barhorst

Isn't it more like Larson hired Kunz?

2/15/11, 1:37 AM   #13
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post
Isn't it more like Larson hired Kunz?
Can you not read?

Larson was hired by Kunz/Willoughby to fill the full-time National Midget ride vacated by Dave Darland late last season. Would you people also claim that Darland rented the ride? After Darland left, they were planning to run Steve Buckwalter in the car at Ventura before it was rained out. Do you think Buckwalter rented it?

Larson is a hot young talent, and we're gonna be lucky to see him race in the Midwest this season. He is a kid from a normal family who could not afford to pay his way through the ranks...he's gotten as far as he has by impressing people and getting rides. Then, he wins. He won King of California in 2010. He ran 10th in the A Main at the Chili Bowl in 2010. He ran well at Perris after being hired by Glenn Crossno. This past weekend, he just jumped into a new car and beat the ASCS National Series at Hanford.

Hopefully he'll get some chances to run more Sprint Car stuff after running really well in Jack Yeley's car last year and Crossno's car at Perris. I've heard Jeff Walker was interested in trying him out, so we'll see...

5 members like this post: AustinSprinter, buck2, jerrydt, sprinter25
2/15/11, 2:20 AM   #14
Jerry Shaw

At Oskaloosa last year, I saw this kid jump in Jack Yeley's red #2 (a team that he had little experience with) and be every bit the match for Levi Jones (in his long time ride) in a real good top 5 battle. On a Levi Jones kinda track. In the feature, he got passed by Levi, then regrouped, caught and passed him back and pulled away, before catching the rut in between 1 and 2 that had taken out a handful of drivers already. He dumped it and his night was over, but he looked damned impressive, none the less.

I predict this guy's going get out here and it isn't going to take long at all before he starts being a real threat. He's going to win him quite a few fans out here, too. The kid's a gasser.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 2/15/11 at 2:35 AM.

3 members like this post: buck2, dirtnonwingfan, jerrydt
2/15/11, 9:45 AM   #15
Shawn

I'm not sure what it really matters, even if he did bring money into it.

I've been watching this kid for a few years now. I've seen his name quite a bit, meaning he's had a lot of success. I firmly believe that he'll come to the Midwest and do quite well. I'm happy that another good, young talent is heading our way, honestly.

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
2/15/11, 11:23 AM   #16
Tony Barhorst

We will be watching him with interest.

2/15/11, 12:17 PM   #17
Race Poor

[QUOTE=Kirk Spridgeon;214082]Can you not read?

I am pretty sure he can read....bit defensive here you think. Who cares, it is there money, whosever...damn it people, just race.

2/15/11, 4:01 PM   #18
Tony Barhorst

Just a couple of questions..Why would Darland just drop that ride, and why wouldn't Buckwalter be given a shot at it if money is not the issue?

2/15/11, 4:46 PM   #19
bgerster

Buckwalter is a good shoe who has established himself in PA running midgets, 360's & 410's. He probably makes good money racing close to home. The PA sprint car racing is a tough as it gets, so if you can hold your own there why travel.

This is very old debate that has been rehashed over & over & over. Keith has a Toyota team and I'm sure Toyota has a great deal of input on the drivers but Cole did a good job and I'm sure Kyle will do a good job. Yes funding is a key componet in todays motorsports. It's a simple fact. Good luck to them this year.

There are a few things we must all remember: The talent of the driver and team will actually win the races not the bank account.

We can't race without roll cages.
We can't use one car for dirt & pavement.
It is about money.
These are all FACTS of openwheel racing today. We may not like it but "it is what it is".

Sprint car racing is the coolest type of oval racing in the world. Lets find a way to look past some the stuff we don't like about it and embrace everything that is good about it. Go to a local track, take a friend who has never been. Support dirt, pavement, non-wing, & wing races. Don't sit at home looking at updates, go out and buy a ticket. Enjoy it for what it is today. Years ago there was debate about the down fall of sprint cars when the Chevy V-8 came in or when guys started using seat belts or roll cages but we survived that. I'm sure we'll survive anything we discuss here.

I'll glad it's almost spring!
Brian Gerster
Last edited by bgerster; 2/15/11 at 6:01 PM.

2/15/11, 7:26 PM   #20
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Some simple questions. How many of those who are complaining about this have ever met and/or seen Kyle Larson race? How many of those complaining know what Steve Buckwalter's plans are for this year or what he wants to do? We have had more than one thread on here in the last two months or so lamenting the fact that a team which was a regular last year is ending or cutting back its racing operations in 2011. Would we rather see Keith Kunz Motorsports quit because of how they are funded?

Just curious.

2 members like this post: mowerman, wolfpack58
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kunz hires Kyle Larson