IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tom Carnegie. Rest in Peace.
2/11/11, 8:21 PM   #21
Re: Tom Carnegie. Rest in Peace.
BHAS SpeedMedic

Spent several dyas in the sun and a couple in the rain...with Tom making the call. IMS had something special with Tom and we all knew it...just sad to know it's really over...Tom where ever you are I hope the track is always green,fast and someone is on it.....with a new track record....

2/11/11, 8:32 PM   #22
old time Hoosier

Did Tom Carnegie announce the midget races at the old 16th Street Midget Speedway? My memory might be failing me but I thought he was the announcer there right after WWII. I attended the Indianapolis 500 many times and hearing his booming voice was always one of the highlights of the day. RIP Mr Carnegie and thank you for your gift you shared with all.

2/11/11, 9:53 PM   #23
babcock14d

Rest in peace, for those racers in heaven they are getting a great announcer!And heees on it!!!!

2/11/11, 10:44 PM   #24
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

For those basketball fans, he helped found the IN High School Hall of Fame and was the voice of the tournament for years. WRTV 6 in Indy had a nice tribute show tonight on him.
Posted via Mobile Device

2/11/11, 11:30 PM   #25
btownracer

I have to say that the biggest thrill that I have experienced in my racing career was being interviewed by Tom at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway over the public address system during the very first Champions Day that they had. He was a very professional person as well as one who seemed to love all forms of Motorsports. I feel privileged to have met this racing icon.

Kevin Chambers
DC Motorsports #18

2/12/11, 12:44 AM   #26
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Two records that will never be equaled: A. J. Foyt's 35 consecutive starts in the 500 and the number of years Tom Carnegie served as announcer at the Speedway.

RIP, Tom

1 member likes this post:
2/12/11, 1:31 AM   #27
short track scott

When I started announcing I wanted to sound just like Tom Carnegie. One day I realized there was no way to really do that because Tom was just being himself. The way he spoke in short bursts. He made every word count. And his inflections on his tones are unmatched.

In an interview one time he said that doing public address at the Speedway is almost like theatre. The performers are acting it all out in front of the crowd, the announcer only need to fill in the gaps and relate the details.

I will be at the Speedway in May. Now as much to remember Tom Carnegie as to celebrate the Speedway's 100th anniversary itself.

Thanks for the memories. Rest In Peace, and Godspeed.

2/12/11, 9:05 AM   #28
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Rest in Peace Tom.You are already missed.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2/12/11, 2:05 PM   #29
sprits fan 11

There should not be any "new track record" but if there is they should play his voice... Only he can announce it. RIP

2/12/11, 4:06 PM   #30
Midget82

He was what made the 500 a spectacle. RIP, Mr. Carnegie.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tom Carnegie. Rest in Peace.