IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Butch Wilkerson story
2/4/11, 11:49 AM   #21
Re: A Butch Wilkerson story
kingpin

I unfornately did not get to witness Butch race but he has graced our presence the last summer by going to the race track with us. In fact he drives the truck and trailer to Bloomington on Friday's for us. It has been a pleasure hearing all the story's (some more than once) about all the great times he had racing. Been a great mentor for a young driver yet not afraid of saying what he thinks and has threatend more than once to unhook the power steering! He loves and is still passionate about racing and we enjoy having him with us at the track and in the shop. Great Man.
Jackson Racing

1 member likes this post: SprintManDave
2/5/11, 10:46 AM   #22
marko 66

i have a really cool picture of 3 tq's entering turn 3 at rushville, in. 3 abreast. winings,workman and wilkerson. the flying "W'S".

2/5/11, 1:39 PM   #23
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bookmiller View Post
It made no difference if Butch was driving for Dizz,Jim Mcqueen ,Jack French or a host if others. He WAS ON THE Gas and a hero to many who watched and admired him
The same could be said about you, glad to see you on the board as you have a few stories of your own.

Jerry #66j
stida.com

2/5/11, 3:10 PM   #24
SteveD

Watched Butch rip the red clay at Bloomington when Bob Taylor ran the joint. Pre-cookie cutter days were a ton of fun. Pontaic, Olds, 429 Cads, Offy's, Chevys...run what you brung and lots of blown engines and scores settled in the pits. Steve K was running thru the stands all bundled up making weight for wrestling matches. A pie plate sized tenderloin or 3/4 lb pork BBQ was a buck. Beer came with bottle caps. Butch and his fellow drivers, car owners, mechanics and sponsers of that era carried the torch to become what sprint racing is today. Thanks Butch and everyone envolved for the racing history we have.

2/5/11, 4:35 PM   #25
axsom#11

Ran in to Butch I think it was bloomington speedway this summer and at Fun Fest . I raced a couple of times with him in the early 80's when I first started out . Heard him talking to someone at bloomington one night and didn't remember him . Started talking to him and he told me a couple of great old stories. No restraits, or neck brace , we all use to race that way . I told him of all the neck problems I've had , but nothing like the injuries he had over the racing years. It was a great time talking about the good old days. Real racing , may have been 20 mph slower , but a lot of danger in the day. thanks for the memories.

2/5/11, 7:05 PM   #26
ByronMack

One time when I was at Salem, I got to talking to the guy beside me. He asked where I was from and when I told oolitic, he asked if I'd ever heard of Butch Wilkerson. I told him I had but he raced before my time. This guy then told me you know him now. Still see him at the tracks quite a bit and always has a good story or two. Seems he also said something about being the best driver Carl Kinser ever had, think you'd might have to ask Carl about that one. lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by ByronMack; 2/5/11 at 7:07 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Butch Wilkerson story