IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where's The rule??
12/21/10, 10:57 AM   #71
Re: Where's The rule??
bloard

There's no doubt that Don was on the bad end of an unfortunate situation. I don't deny that.

But the martyrdom for the sake of the fans shtick is a little disingenuous.

The bottom line here is that it was a pretty cool event, which sort of replaced an event last year that left a black eye on the sport. Everyone got together in the middle of December and had a pretty good time racing midgets. Kenny Brown and the POWRi folks should be commended for stepping up to the plate and swinging for the fences and coming pretty darn close to pulling it off for a first time event. Sure the racing could have been better, but I didn't talk to anyone that didn't have a good time.

Yes, my car made the show but it truthfully wouldn't have mattered if it came home in a wad. My wife watched her first dirt race start to finish and the kids had fun watching their car on TV. We watched with a few other couples and a handful of our kids' friends and I'm pretty sure that every one of them will be paying to watch their first midget race in person when POWRi comes to Jacksonville in April. By the end of the night these new "fans", young and old had been entertained and were starting to recognize a few names and even root for one car or another.

These are the kinds of events the sport needs. Pretty good payout, good exposure, pretty easy on the equipment, no need for a big buck power plant, and an overall good time. To wake up yesterday and see Don trying to a take a great big leak over the event kind of got under my skin.

I get where he is coming from... just wish his method was a little different. Nothing personal... the first soda's on me if you come to Jacksonville in April, Don.

12/21/10, 12:43 PM   #72
MHess

Steve-the yellow was thrown after the third place car crossed the line. That is when the yellow button was hit on the transponder system. Ask them and they will gladly tell you.

767-if this would have happened to a reputable driver ie clauson, they would understand the "rule" and not be on a message board ******** about it.

Don-If this rule were different and your car was leading and a yellow came out for somebody else in the back of the pack, after you took the checker, and it cost you the win, you would then be on here ******** about the same stuff. bottom line is, it's there playground and you came to play in it. whatever they decide must be usually right or else there car counts would not be averaging in the 30's. If you don't like said playground, then don't come back! That's what a lot of people choose to do when they feel they've been wronged. Of the three previous qualifiers, the leader had not taken the checkered flag or else they would have used the same procedure as was used in your quailifier. I'm sure though, that they saw it was your car that was not gonna benefit from it at that time so they pulled a rule out of there ass to make sure it screwed you over.

5 members like this post: 1956offy, Checker'd Past, mowerman
12/21/10, 12:51 PM   #73
Tall Jackson

Get off the board, and into the garage. Maybe your car would finish higher in the qualifying races!!

12/21/10, 1:22 PM   #74
DonMoore10

Apparently we've progressed in this thread to the knife and tomato throwing. Always happens, especially the anonymous ones hiding behind a computer that have nothing concrete to say. The holidays always bring out the best in people. Mike... appreciate all the advice. I already know my options regarding places to race and they are getting fewer and fewer by the minute. SMRS is the latest to hit the tank. Arizona is gone and now Wisconsin is on life support. If you haven't noticed midget racing is on the decline. You're not helping by coming on a public message board and attacking a fellow racer. You can call me at 440-355-4407 if you want to get personal. Now.... Please show me the rule that would be the foundation for your argument. Try to leave the personalities out of the mix. Personalities have nothing to do with rules. Real simple request. If there is no rule for the foundation of the argument, then you're wasting your time writing about.

12/21/10, 1:54 PM   #75
48modracer

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I think that the rule is pretty clear in the POWRI rules listed on their website and I thought that Mike Hess did a good job explaining the call. That being said, anyone that has raced for any period of time has gotten the short end of a call.

And I don't mean to drag these guys into an argument, but look at USAC midget week last year when T-Mez got a win taken away. I don't see him or his owner Mark Bush boycotting USAC and I think their beef was bigger than an interpretation of whether or not a race was completed.

I appreciate Don's frustration , but at this point, the call was made. They (POWRI) will not change it so there is no point in continuing to beat the dead horse. At this point, after reading this thread, the incident and subsequent argument have diminished Don's reputation probably more than POWRI to this point.

12/21/10, 2:02 PM   #76
bloard

Quote:
You're not helping by coming on a public message board and attacking a fellow racer. - DonMoore10
Pot, Meet Kettle.
Last edited by bloard; 12/21/10 at 2:06 PM.

12/21/10, 2:28 PM   #77
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48modracer View Post
And I don't mean to drag these guys into an argument, but look at USAC midget week last year when T-Mez got a win taken away. I don't see him or his owner Mark Bush boycotting USAC and I think their beef was bigger than an interpretation of whether or not a race was completed.
Modracer: Regarding the midget week incident with the Bush car. Please do your homework before posting wreckless information and comparisons. The USAC rule is very clear about post race inspection and the penalties. The procedure is also covered in the USAC drivers meeting. Thanks.

Here is just one part of the USAC rules:

He may, during or upon completion of an event, take possession of all or selected cars and, under such supervision as
he may prescribe, take any and all such cars to an official area where they shall be kept under supervision and
examined for compliance with the regulations. Any entrant refusing to allow his car to be inspected or to follow the
prescribed post event inspection procedures will be disqualified.

12/21/10, 2:35 PM   #78
The Texan

OK, just wondering.....just say you have the top six cars and they are numbered 1-6. They take the white flag in order 1-6, but they take the checkers in the order of 2,3,4,1,6 and 5. There is a wreck elsewhere on the track as the top six cars are crossing the finish line, and the caution lights come on after car #4 (the 3rd place car) takes the checkers. How are the top six scored by this rule?

Again, just wondering.
Last edited by The Texan; 12/21/10 at 2:37 PM.

1 member likes this post: badgerfan
12/21/10, 2:45 PM   #79
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloard View Post
Pot, Meet Kettle.
I was wondering if anyone else would catch that. It's OK for Don to call out Mike for "attacking a fellow racer," but he is allowed to deliver terms such as "some idiot who doesn't know how to drive." Interesting.

Texan - The official finish would be 2,3,4,1,5,6.

As soon as the official scorer triggers the caution, all scoring is stopped. So whoever was the last car to cross the line gets that spot, but everyone after that is scored by the previous lap. Sometimes, that triggering happens a split second before even the flag comes out, only because the scorer hits yellow as soon as the race director calls it, whilst the flagman is hitting the yellow light and then throwing the caution flag.

Again, I would be interested to hear any suggestions Don or anyone else may have to offer a better way to handle the situation...

1 member likes this post: Modocer 57
12/21/10, 2:48 PM   #80
Haulerin2deep

Don, I have a lot of respect for you as a midget owner. That being said, I have got to say that you have lost it here in this arguement. Your original post was about there not being a rule in place when they said there was. As copied in an earlier post there clearly is a written rule in place. (yes it says red flag not yellow, but it clearly applies here).

So that argument cleared up you begin with it not being clear for the fans to understand. I have understood the rule since I was 9 years old. Not that hard to understand.

Then you state that even if the leader takes the checkers if all cars don't you have to restart with a green, white, checkered. Give me a break. We all know that would not fly with anyone especially you. If the leader takes the checkers it is over....... So what then, you race back to checkered whether the track is clear and safe or not??? Obviously not, even you would agree that is not an option.

Does it suck that your man was fast enough to make the show and passed for the positioin and an accident nullified your finish? Yes. it clearly does suck but it happens to every one.

I guess I cant understand why you continue to argue this topic after all of your statements or questions have been answered. This is not a new rule and it is beginning to sound like mindless compaining and moaning by you and I would think that would be above you. I have stated many times that I do agree with many of your opinions on the state of midget racing but this is beginning to sound like a whinny little fit aimed at Powri whom as far as I can see are doing their very best to provide good paying quality races for all of you.

I am sorry for going on so long but Come on....... Get over it.

Merry christmas to everyone and have a safe holiday season

Chad Branson

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where's The rule??