IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Video of Shane's accident
10/12/10, 2:25 PM   #21
Re: Video of Shane's accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus79h View Post
I saw the video as well, and it is one of those iconic things that will stay with me for a very long time, and probably forever. The problem with the whole improvement thing, is if that wreck would have happened with virtually any type of car, this would have been a very very bad accident. There isn't any way around it it seems, surely I'm no engineer, but I just don't see anything changing, or anything to the better. This was one of those once in a million types of hits, that if the car would have flipped on the first bicycle, it very well could have been he walked away with no injuries at all.

Me and my wife have prayed for Shane and his family every single day, and we both with him the best of luck, and I am very happy to see that his surgeries have been better than expected.

I agree totally about the any type of open wheel car thing. I do disagree that there are things that can be done to help prevent it. I'm no engineer either, but there are things that can help in this type of wreck. More bars, more bracing, thicker steel. Have they not made Nascar's safer? Heck look at indy cars, you can fly into the wall at 200+ and live. That was not always the case. I do agree with the entire sensitivity thing also. I have seen far worse video's on this very site like was pointed out. I have a ton of respect for shane and what he has done to turn his life around. My family is praying for him and several others each day also. Get well soon.

10/12/10, 2:37 PM   #22
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
I agree totally about the any type of open wheel car thing. I do disagree that there are things that can be done to help prevent it. I'm no engineer either, but there are things that can help in this type of wreck. More bars, more bracing, thicker steel. Have they not made Nascar's safer? Heck look at indy cars, you can fly into the wall at 200+ and live. That was not always the case. I do agree with the entire sensitivity thing also. I have seen far worse video's on this very site like was pointed out. I have a ton of respect for shane and what he has done to turn his life around. My family is praying for him and several others each day also. Get well soon.
Main thing in that incident would probably be getting rid of the concrete wall. A catch fence would be ideal, but even the old guard rail probably would have been better than concrete. It has no give when hit and causes things like that to happen. They might say its better for keeping cars in the track, but it has been proved a couple of times this year that it does not do that. Terre Haute needs to rethink safety features in this deal and step up to resolve them. Hope this never happens again, but chances are it will. That is JMO on this subject.

1 member likes this post: 767
10/12/10, 2:51 PM   #23
JDFAST

I can understand why people wouldn't want to see it or take if off this message board.

After I thought Shane was out of the worst of it (if that is true), I saw the video which is posted on several other sites including Hoseheads (at one time, might still be there).

The reason I did was not to see Shane get hurt. But to inform myself or educate myself of what happened.

When I saw the video, I thought no way could anyone survive that. Period. If you could call it that, he is lucky he can hopefully comeback someday or live a normal life.

After watching the video I have a couple of questions. 1. Was Shane wearing a Hans type of device. 2. If he was, did it help or hurt him. I have read some drivers same the hans device doesn't help in sprint cars and could even hurt them in an accident. I disagree, but I really don't know the science behind Hans type devices and open wheel dirt cars.

Is there anything they could do to make cages stronger, or did the cage do what is was designed to do and absorb the impact. No judgement on the chassis mfg., as I don't think anyone would of expected an impact like Shane had. Racing is dangerous (although we forget it at times these days) but sometimes the unexpected crash scenarios happen that nobody could ever imagine.

Like Charles said, no reason whatsoever to fight about this. Some might not agree to post or not post video, but ALL OF US care about racers, respect them, don't go to races or watch videos for crashes, and would never want to see a driver or family harmed in anyway.

Wishing Shane a speedy recovery. Any more updates on Shane, last I heard he was going into surgery Monday. But I haven't searched the internet recently for updates.

Doug

2 members like this post: 767
10/12/10, 3:05 PM   #24
Seadog

Quote:
After watching the video I have a couple of questions. 1. Was Shane wearing a Hans type of device.
HANS is mandatory in USAC I believe.

10/12/10, 3:05 PM   #25
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles nungester View Post
ah ********, now there shouldn't be a fight over someone hurt but that man paid his dime same as everyone else. Chances are he was telling some friends about it and they said, i'd like to see. So he puts it on youtube.

Theres hundreds and thousands of wrecks every year and all you all go "wow, he walked away from that?????" theres fatal s and accidents were people were permanently marred. Some from this sites owners and mods who make a supplemental income from thrills and spills.

Bad for racing? Id beg to say if accidents didn't happen there would be a lot less in the stands. I seem to remember a couple of these people calling open-wheel racing safe today, while others state the obvious, what happens when the 14yr old gets hurt?

Bad for racing? No! A little too soon for certain. It would be respectful to hold it till at least the family says its ok and or shane gets healed up. Bad for racing was the ones spreading false death rumors.

In fact it might be good for racing in the long run, it obviously showed how he hit and perhaps chassis builders and teams can do something to prevent this type of collapse (it wasn't your typical impact in any way)

bill has his rules, its from respect he don't want it here, at least till things are clearer. Its from respect he don't want injury updates except from very close family.

Respect bills rules

get well shane, still prayin for ya!
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

10/12/10, 3:20 PM   #26
Gee2

I thinks its been blocked on youtube.

10/12/10, 4:29 PM   #27
RWMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee2 View Post
I thinks its been blocked on youtube.

To confirm, the owner of the video was kind enough to agree to our request, on behalf of our team and Shane's family, to remove the public video for the time being. The individual had good intentions with his post and does recognize the need for sensitivity to the situation. We have thanked him for his cooperation and will continue to do our best to maintain the highest level of sensitivity and respect for the family's wishes.

To contact us: bmalonoski@rotondoweirich.com

10/12/10, 5:59 PM   #28
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
HANS is mandatory in USAC I believe.
Which could be why he may have damaged his carotid artery. If anything, the HANS was more of a risk than a safety precaution.

10/12/10, 6:20 PM   #29
chop

I wish Shane a full and fast return.
But the question I would ask is was it the track that made the problem? If that part of the wall had a chain link fence on top of it. Would it have knocked the car back onto the track- keep the car from landing on the top-edge of the wall? It would seem that alot of force has made to a very small area of the cage.

10/12/10, 6:55 PM   #30
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtoPA View Post
Which could be why he may have damaged his carotid artery. If anything, the HANS was more of a risk than a safety precaution.
When Trammel comes out and says it saved his life, Like he did on BC, Will you quit making stuff up?

1 member likes this post: KRJoyce1
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Video of Shane's accident