Re: D.O.T and Toterhomes
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by red70racer View Post
I google searched this and found this

http://www.usccracing.com/news_2010/...EGULATIONS.pdf

It outlines everything. I'm thinking we have quite a few illegal rigs moving up and down the highway
Jeff Palazzolo
That would be a good thing to print out and post at the tracks payout window for owners and drivers to take a look at. then if they decided not to follow it is there own fault.

9/10/10, 1:57 PM   #32
Bluteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
I showed this thread to someone who races and is very familiar with the FMCSR's. He mentioned something that is very obvious after mentioning it. If you have to get a DOT number, you also have to establish and adhere to a random drug testing program.
That was one thought.

Another thought is this: is a pickup and trailer combination(or a large toter as well) hauling a race car actually going to be considered as engaging in intra or interstate commerce? Perhaps for those who receive "tow" money(said tongue in cheek), but I have a hard time believing they could make this one stand up to a good attorney.

What's the difference between a guy using his personal vehicle on Fed funded hiways to go to haul his brief case or tools to his paying job, and a guy using his personal vehicle to haul a race car to his job(if you could even call it that).

70' toter/trailer combinations has some merit, but a pick-up and trailer?

I enjoy looking at the big haulers. I think trailers for weekend racers need to be smaller for more reasons than just this scenario. Yes, obtaining a USDOT credential, IFTA license, etc, etc is fairly simple, but staying in compliance is not. It takes a lot of time keeping and filing records. Wait until Joe Public is looking at the cost alone of being in a random drug testing program. "F%#! I was just tested last quarter! That's the 3rd time this bleeping year!" Oh, and just so you know - don't forget to go in and get tested AND, it's not just drugs they test for. That mark stays with you for awhile. Friend of mine just had to take a 30 day timeout and drug awareness classes because he threw the letter on the counter. The guy has never touched alcohol, let alone drugs. How does an owner/operator give himself 2 hours notice from his 30 day notice to go get tested without letting himself know he's being tested 30 days in advance?

Less government please.

PS: if a driver crashes in the race, is he now required to submit to a random drug/alcohol test before getting back behind the wheel of his pick-up to go home?

9/10/10, 2:02 PM   #33
bherzog513

Maybe I'm niave, but I would think there should be plenty of loopholes to get out of this. Referering to the comment before about the person who had their truck impounded until they proved that no money was made and no losses were claimed; If the car was registered as a business(claiming losses, surely!) as long as it was in someones name other than the owner of the toter home who could not be traced/linked together, wouldn't this be the evidence that the judge needed. There is also the "driver takes the winnings" scenario that has been argueed before also, which has some legal points to it.

If a vehicle has airbrakes im fairly certain you must have a "Class A CDL," that is a given. Yet I'm also farily certain that non-commercial vehicles don't need inspections or logbooks. How is a D.O.T. going to lawfully repremand someone for these things when they cannot tell the difference between a sprint car that I carry from town to town to put in car shows or to run at track days, from a car that competes on a national level that generates profit(don't know if thats possible). I would say less than 5% of law enforcement could pick a sprint car out from from a Legend car or a Indy Car.
Last edited by bherzog513; 9/10/10 at 3:16 PM.

9/10/10, 3:28 PM   #34
hoosierdaddy

Apparently the pizza delivery kids in my town are gonna be screwed big time. They make mad tips driving their hondas around.

9/10/10, 5:36 PM   #35
Daboy

Guy's like me with a class A with doubles and tripples and hazmat endorsements someday might become a hot commodity. That was allways my dream job when I was single to drive transport for a team.

9/10/10, 5:50 PM   #36
aceace

Many of these strict rules come from the insurance lobby in DC, when a tractor trailer is involved it's usually a big payout. America has become a nation of litigation. Everyone sues now days.

I was in a very minor accident in Cincinnati going about 5 miles per hour at the time. My truck suffered no damage that I was going to have to fix, got a scratch on my wheel. The other car had a scratch on their bumper. My insurance company paid out $12,200. I was in disbelief. The paid him $10,000 for bruises and $2200 for a car that wasn't worth $800 and I'm sure the car was never fixed. Now you know why all those accident / injury Lawyers live in big houses.

I was also told that soon you will have to have a 120 hour course to get your CDL, this will set you back about $4000.

9/10/10, 6:26 PM   #37
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluteam View Post
That was one thought.

Another thought is this: is a pickup and trailer combination(or a large toter as well) hauling a race car actually going to be considered as engaging in intra or interstate commerce? Perhaps for those who receive "tow" money(said tongue in cheek), but I have a hard time believing they could make this one stand up to a good attorney.

What's the difference between a guy using his personal vehicle on Fed funded hiways to go to haul his brief case or tools to his paying job, and a guy using his personal vehicle to haul a race car to his job(if you could even call it that).

70' toter/trailer combinations has some merit, but a pick-up and trailer?

I enjoy looking at the big haulers. I think trailers for weekend racers need to be smaller for more reasons than just this scenario. Yes, obtaining a USDOT credential, IFTA license, etc, etc is fairly simple, but staying in compliance is not. It takes a lot of time keeping and filing records. Wait until Joe Public is looking at the cost alone of being in a random drug testing program. "F%#! I was just tested last quarter! That's the 3rd time this bleeping year!" Oh, and just so you know - don't forget to go in and get tested AND, it's not just drugs they test for. That mark stays with you for awhile. Friend of mine just had to take a 30 day timeout and drug awareness classes because he threw the letter on the counter. The guy has never touched alcohol, let alone drugs. How does an owner/operator give himself 2 hours notice from his 30 day notice to go get tested without letting himself know he's being tested 30 days in advance?

Less government please.

PS: if a driver crashes in the race, is he now required to submit to a random drug/alcohol test before getting back behind the wheel of his pick-up to go home?
YES a guy that is using a 1-ton dually to haul tools is required to have a DOT. It is not the weight that he is carrying, it is what the vehicle is capable of carrying.

9/10/10, 9:53 PM   #38
JstAbvVMC

California allows drivers to obtain a Class A / "Non-Commercial" license. (Not sure what Indiana BMV might offer) This option was set up in CA for the motorcoach retirees and those towing their large vacation trailers. No drug testing involved, the written and driving tests are not "Class A" tough. They are geared to that crowd mainly pretrip inspections and basic safe driving. Test questions and the driving test is to ensure you can handle the vehicle your driving. Not hard.

Now the non commercial Class A also includes any combination of vehicles with a trailer GVWR over 10,000 pounds. Key here is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating if you are 10K or under your good. 10,001 pounds and a Class A of some type is needed. IE..if you have two 7,000pound axles on your trailer you are over (14,000 lbs). It doesn't matter what your towing it with or what you are doing with it. F250 with trailer over 10K = Class A.

Throw in a toter with air brakes and it gets even harder, regular Class A. Put decals on the side for all to see and you just made yourself a commercial target, DOT sticker, logbook, insurance ETC... Leave the stickers off and get the easy Class A, if you can, and you "should" be ok.

9/11/10, 3:33 PM   #39
sc96

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstAbvVMC View Post
California allows drivers to obtain a Class A / "Non-Commercial" license. (Not sure what Indiana BMV might offer) This option was set up in CA for the motorcoach retirees and those towing their large vacation trailers. No drug testing involved, the written and driving tests are not "Class A" tough. They are geared to that crowd mainly pretrip inspections and basic safe driving. Test questions and the driving test is to ensure you can handle the vehicle your driving. Not hard.

Now the non commercial Class A also includes any combination of vehicles with a trailer GVWR over 10,000 pounds. Key here is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating if you are 10K or under your good. 10,001 pounds and a Class A of some type is needed. IE..if you have two 7,000pound axles on your trailer you are over (14,000 lbs). It doesn't matter what your towing it with or what you are doing with it. F250 with trailer over 10K = Class A.

Throw in a toter with air brakes and it gets even harder, regular Class A. Put decals on the side for all to see and you just made yourself a commercial target, DOT sticker, logbook, insurance ETC... Leave the stickers off and get the easy Class A, if you can, and you "should" be ok.
The only down side to this is once you leave california you are then not legal in the other states I ran into this problem when I got my class A because the whole thing revolved around the fact we were paid for racing so there for we were considered commercial. As for the 2 toters sitting in empound 1 is regestered in california. I was by there early today again and they are both still there.

9/12/10, 8:01 PM   #40
bowbuild

What about rental moving trucks? Where do they fit in to D.O.T requirements?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D.O.T and Toterhomes