IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What is your favorite and why?
8/7/10, 12:14 AM   #31
Re: What is your favorite and why?
SprintManDave

Late 50's to early 70's,because I was able to see all of the top Indy drivers also drive sprints,midgets,and silver crown,which was part of the championship back then.Also enjoy today's,and go as often as possible.

8/7/10, 2:31 PM   #32
Racer12

I love todays racing, I am amazed many times a year by the intensity of it. I also am a huge fan of 1920's-1980's sprint car racing. But my favorite will always have to be 1990-1999, that is when my cousins snuck a then 12 year old me into the pits. It was so cool getting to work on cars that raced against some of the guys who were my heros. Guys like Dave Darland, Kevin Thomas, Bob Kinser, Joe Roush, Brad Marvel, Gary Fisher, Tony Elliot and Jack Hewitt to name a few. I also got to know some of todays racers who were there doing the same thing I was. We were very lucky in my opinion to be allowed somewhere we weren't supposed to be. I feel getting to go in the pits has lost some of its aura now that just anybody can get in.

Bob Shutt

8/7/10, 2:59 PM   #33
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGardner View Post
Late 90's for me cause that was when I was growing up around the racetrack on the west coast! Watching my hero's Griffin, Kruseman, Kirby, Gaunt, Cline Williams etc duke it out every saturday night! I lived for saturday night, well I still do know but its something I will remember for the rest of my life! What I wouldn't do to go back in time to a random saturday night and be a little kid in the stands in aw of what I was seeing again! Man those where the days! The days of 40 plus cars at a random perris show! Simply awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, coming to the white flag at most races was 5 cars within a tenth of a second of each other.

8/8/10, 10:56 AM   #34
Amatiforever

The 70's of course!!!!! Sprint cars were Sprint Cars and the drivers had to drive them!!! The best of the best Chuck Amati. Racing all over the country, friends like Duke Cook, Butch Wilkerson, Hooker Hood, Bobby Allen, Rick Ferkel just to name a few. Everyone knew everyone else and always was there to help even a fellow competitor. But oh the good times after the races!!!!!! Thanks for the memories.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/9/10, 1:48 PM   #35
old time Hoosier

The 1950's and early 1960's when all cars were towed on open trailers, tool boxes were carried in one hand, drivers wore t shirts with packages of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeves and steered the cars with their right foot.

8/9/10, 2:45 PM   #36
G Gamble

Love the picture of Chuck Amati. Brought back memories of going to the Williamson Co Fairgrounds in Marion Il with my Dad. Setting in the old cover stands and feeling like your setting almost on top of the track. When he was in town, it was always a race for second. Hooker Hood, Gene Henson(sp), Bubby, and Cliff C always made for great racing. Don't really understand how things went from being so good around here to no racing at all.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What is your favorite and why?