IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > PePi Marchese Photo ???
5/23/10, 1:17 AM   #21
Re: PePi Marchese Photo ???
nonwing

Now that I know he is still up in Marion I need to take an afternoon and go see him.

Interesting story, for some reason he asked me to drive his midget with his Chevy II at IRP for a USAC show. As I was climbing in the car he tugged on my uniform and said. "Uh, you know if you tear it up, you will have to fix what ever you break". LOL. I almost climbed back out, but I liked Pepi and I was happy that he asked me to drive his car. It was the white car with the blue #5. Funny thing, he didn't buy a new RR because we thought it was going to rain us out. Then because of the used up RR in hot laps, I spun it coming off of four and the announcer said, "Race Fans it looks like Pepi Marchese has spun coming off of 4." That was actually nice to hear.LOL. That was all I got to drive because the rains came and ended our evening. We didn't hook up again.

I need to make plans to go see him. He was always really nice to me and we raced a lot together back in 1986 -1989. I can't recall the year he got hurt at Eldora. I know it was the four crown. His head actually got hung up on the outside of the cage net as he barrel rolled. It was a shame that a safety device was the reason for his head injury. In fact, my cars never had a cage net.

George Wilkins

1 member likes this post: WinglessLovers
5/23/10, 5:35 PM   #22
cleatziff

My dad and Pepe were friends. He believes he has a picture of the two of them together. He is going to look for it after the 500 qualifying is over. If we can find the picture I will post it later. He also suggested if you would like pictures of the car to get in touch with National Speed Sport News.

5/24/10, 10:38 AM   #23
cleatziff

OK I have the pictures!! I am work today though so I won't be able to post them. I will work on it tommorrow.

5/24/10, 6:31 PM   #24
Vukie

Here is a photograph of Pepi that I took at the Milwaukee Mile years ago.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vukie53/...74768408591586

5/24/10, 8:55 PM   #25
cars5752

Here's the car I now have and the one I've tried for years to get the history on. I can trace it back to Pepi. He sold it to Danny Rogers and from there it was sold to Dick Southworth of Michigan. He sold it to Glen Schmidt, who raced it very little, and prior to me, it was owned by Tom Smith of Frankfort, Oh., who had it in a small museum he had. I cannot find anything on it past Pepi, and I've even talked to him, but in his current state, he couldn't be of much help. It's neat seeing all these post about him. It anyone know anything else on the black 5, feel free to reply. Many thanks.
Attached Images
Pepi car.jpg (173.1 KB, 218 views)

5/25/10, 12:15 PM   #26
cleatziff

These are the pictures I got from my dad. The first one is Pepi on the left and my dad on the right. The caption on the second picture says Troy Cope is on the left Pepi in the center and Joe Roush on the right. Both of the pictures were from the Buckeye Midget Series awards banquet in 1984.
Attached Images
Pepi001.jpg (145.1 KB, 213 views)
Pepi003.jpg (153.3 KB, 207 views)

5/25/10, 6:20 PM   #27
cleatziff

My dad was giving me a hard time for not mentioning his name in the post. I told him I did...Dad. His name is Bob Hayden.

5/26/10, 12:09 AM   #28
Bob Hayden

I feel much better now! LOL LOL

6/26/10, 12:44 AM   #29
racetrackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonwing View Post

.... I can't recall the year he got hurt at Eldora. I know it was the four crown. His head actually got hung up on the outside of the cage net as he barrel rolled. It was a shame that a safety device was the reason for his head injury. In fact, my cars never had a cage net.

George Wilkins

I think it was in '92. Pepi was hurt right after Bob Shupp was killed at Belleville.
I just stumbled across this thread while trying to get an update on his condition. I'm really glad to find out that he's doing so well. I got to know him a little and always enjoyed visiting with him.
Here's a shot of him waiting to qualify there at Belleville in '92.
Attached Images
Pepi.JPG (95.2 KB, 218 views)

1 member likes this post: Gregg
6/27/10, 2:25 PM   #30
Tom Marchese

Pepi is alive and doing as good as possible considering the injuries he sustained at Eldora. He is being cared for at a nursing home in Marion Indiana. .................................................. .. Tom Marchese ( Pepi's brother )

5 members like this post: 64chevy, dirtball, mod4s, Need For Speed, Xflagman
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > PePi Marchese Photo ???