IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 16th Street Speedway ( Bush Stadium) A Wreck
5/25/10, 9:56 AM   #21
Re: 16th Street Speedway ( Bush Stadium) A Wreck
LEADERS EDGE

You had cars and no fans.

Some "Highlights" of it's existance as a track.....
-Opening morning: Had T.V and media there. They fired up a few cars for the T.V crew......Nothing but dust storm. They hadn't watered it or at least not enough. The T.V reporters made comments like....It shouldn't be this Dusty tonight and things of that nature. You couldn't see the cars for the dust.

-Opening night was S.R.O, but ran very late and some left.(Great race)

-U.A.W. night: So many tickets given away that they had to let fans sit on the pit side and many left mad.

-Summer Sizzle: I refuse to call it the "Summer Fizzle like others did because that isn't fair to the teams. People who called or went for tickets were told it was sold out when it wasn't. That's if someone was there at all. They couldn't get tickets even when they wanted them. People who were told they could camp were then told they had to move.

-A.M.A Flat track: Sold out event. Tons of bikes. The track didn't do the safety requirements specified by A.M.A(Hay bails) and the race was canceled on race day.

The list goes on and on and much of it ends with a very late program with die hard fans going home. It's too bad because it was a very unique experience.

By the way.....the very last race.......It was a day show that was advertised as a night show and fans were showing up when the teams were leaving.

5/25/10, 11:32 AM   #22
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
You had cars and no fans.

Some "Highlights" of it's existance as a track.....
-Opening morning: Had T.V and media there. They fired up a few cars for the T.V crew......Nothing but dust storm. They hadn't watered it or at least not enough. The T.V reporters made comments like....It shouldn't be this Dusty tonight and things of that nature. You couldn't see the cars for the dust.

-Opening night was S.R.O, but ran very late and some left.(Great race)

-U.A.W. night: So many tickets given away that they had to let fans sit on the pit side and many left mad.

-Summer Sizzle: I refuse to call it the "Summer Fizzle like others did because that isn't fair to the teams. People who called or went for tickets were told it was sold out when it wasn't. That's if someone was there at all. They couldn't get tickets even when they wanted them. People who were told they could camp were then told they had to move.

-A.M.A Flat track: Sold out event. Tons of bikes. The track didn't do the safety requirements specified by A.M.A(Hay bails) and the race was canceled on race day.

The list goes on and on and much of it ends with a very late program with die hard fans going home. It's too bad because it was a very unique experience.

By the way.....the very last race.......It was a day show that was advertised as a night show and fans were showing up when the teams were leaving.
the summer sizzle was a financial disaster but the racing was GREAT!! The Chris Coers win on one of the perliminary nights was one of the better races i've ever seen, 3 cars literally touching as they took the checkered. On the final night of the Sizzle Critter had them all covered until he hit a hole about where home plate would be and crashed it......then they fixed the hole....in the middle of the race. They had drivers from all over the country at that race even Sleepy Tripp hauled in from Cali. One thing that pizzed people off was that on a normal show you could bring coolers in but they were turned away at the gate for that race. I saw some get so mad that they turned around and went home. I was at the very last race then headed off to IRP for USAC sprints that evening.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
Last edited by racefan20; 5/25/10 at 11:33 AM.

5/25/10, 12:16 PM   #23
Tony Barhorst

The memories I have of the Summer Sizzler are:

It was the first I can remember being on the the usacfans.com message board...the Sizzler was always a topic.

The ticket prices for the Wed. or Thursday show were WAY to high at $20.

It was cool talking to Jack Hewitt in the pits preparing the Parker car.

I am still looking for a good OUTDOOR race track...

5/25/10, 12:48 PM   #24
indywally

Hey Ashley give me a call..Wally at 317-625-1232

5/25/10, 1:22 PM   #25
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

I hope somone, somewhere brings this place back. I see it as doable. Might be tough. But it is doable. I might just have to make a trip up there to see for myself.

5/25/10, 3:47 PM   #26
Hubie

I went to many, many races there. Both as a fan and as a participant (crew member)

The track was horrible, on just about any occasion. I don't know where they got the dirt from but always assumed it came from White River as after an evenings racing you had to wash the car off as it smelled of fish. (no kidding)

There was always a giant hole in between turns 1 and 2, and it started out big and eventually large enough to sink a Semi.

It killed cars. Shocks, nerf bars, spuds, mounts, it all got trashed.

They always wanted the racers to believe that the "big break" was watching.... then treated everyone like the plague.

There were some real butt holes running that place. I would not trade those times for anything in the world!!!!

5/25/10, 4:27 PM   #27
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1jet17 View Post
I hope somone, somewhere brings this place back. I see it as doable. Might be tough. But it is doable. I might just have to make a trip up there to see for myself.
Only if you have a BIG bag of money you are willing to lose.

5/25/10, 9:16 PM   #28
v8j

lead paint !!!!! IUPUI will be building on the site in 2012 i think

5/25/10, 10:24 PM   #29
racefan20

The parking lot is overflow for Wishard employees during the new hospital construction

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 16th Street Speedway ( Bush Stadium) A Wreck