IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Unfriendly Fan Rule
4/1/10, 12:04 PM   #41
carrytheleftfront

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
Ugh... I told myself I would not get into it but damnit...

Gregg, with all do respect, if it was that easy to just call the USAC office and get things changed there would be zero problems, but it doesnt work that way, and thats where these issues just cant be seen the same way between fans on one side of the fence, and competitors on the other. USAC is very good and passing the blame when a issue is brought up to them, and going to them with a issue is pretty pointless these days, you will get the "yea yea we will look into that, thanks for comin," or, "well that is the promoters decision." Fans dont care what intitials they are going to see, they just want to see the best drivers, and I dont blame you one bit, but there is ALOT of money and in some cases peoples livleyhood involved on the other side of the fence, it is two different worlds and its hard for people to understand that sometimes. The majority of owners and drivers dont agree with alot of things going on with USAC, but they also know that its the only game in town (for now), and trying to change things is just a waste of time, or they just wont speak up. I understand many of you saying this rule isnt a big deal, and it may only be a issue a few times throughout the year, but answer this... Why is it necessary?? The point money is great, but why should it matter if Dave Darland goes to run a Powri, or MSCS show the night before Terre Haute?? That is his livelyhood! And nobody has got into what this does to the tracks and their decision to schedule USAC shows or not, because now if the dont, they run the risk of Darland, Stanbrough, Gardner etc not being able to come race on a OFF night from USAC.. So just explain to me who benefits from this rule?? Why is it necessary?? Im not asking sarcastically either..
Maybe if you spoke to them like a man and not a child that would listen to you. But when you constantly come at them with an attitude why should they?

Dmoore if most of the fans on here are okay with it, than damn it must not be that bad for the fans. All though you are going to continuously try to convince the fans it is bad for them.
Posted via Mobile Device

4/1/10, 12:10 PM   #42
Re: New Unfriendly Fan Rule
usac99

a lot of people on here thinks this isn't a big deal. a driver winning the championship would get 40 grand,great . what does the car owner get? buy more race cars ,run more races,sounds like our health care package!

4/1/10, 12:12 PM   #43
Revolution Racing

This is not about the racers. It is DEFINITELY NOT about the fans. Its about blood - who's losing it and who's healthy.

4/1/10, 12:20 PM   #44
DonMoore10

I'm still waiting on the first post that explains how this benefits the overall goodwill, cooperation and health of open wheel racing. This is one of the main issues that is confronting the industry today. Now we have dog leashes around the necks of a group of drivers and a diminishing pool of drivers for car owners to hire. Most of you can't see the forest for the trees. And the same old song and dance people coming on here with the personality putdowns, the same debate team flunkouts with the slams and no substance when I predicted the downfall of midget racing a few years ago.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 4/1/10 at 12:25 PM.

4/1/10, 12:30 PM   #45
RichC

I don't think you can automatically assume that because Casey shares a last name with Ron that the two run in lock step with each other. From my time around the both of them I can say that Casey IS his father's son and as such has his own opinions and isn't afraid to share them. I also know that those two probably disagree more than they agree. I say this because back when I was writing a lot of people assumed that I was channeling Jack Yeley and it pissed the hell out of me.

It appears to me that the underlying issue is that for years it's chapped USAC's hide that Darland/Stanbrough/Jones/etc/etc run a lot of local shows. USAC feels that fans will skip the USAC shows if they know the same drivers will be at Kokomo/wherever the next night. This rule is aimed straight at the heads of the USAC stars, not the journeymen that run 12th to 15th. They know that the stars can't pass up the bigger money that USAC pays and that they might get away with it. The advantage that USAC has is that if the rule isn't working in the way they want it to, they can just change it but the racers have to make their decision at the beginning of the year and likely stick with it.

Like it or not like it, I still find it interesting that the current regime isn't afraid to roll hand grenades out into the crowd. After a long period of complacency, I still find it amazing to see the sheer brass of it.

4/1/10, 12:30 PM   #46
Sandy Lowe

IMO USAC is not penalizing the drivers who do not race with them but rewarding the drivers who do. USAC went out and got extra sponsorship money for those loyal drivers.

Every driver still has a choice and can race wherever they choose.

Why should USAC give bonus money to a midget driver that will run a POWRi midget race the same night as a USAC midget race? Why should USAC give bonus money to a sprint driver that will run an open competition sprint race at Vernon the same night as a USAC sprint race at Eldora?

If a promoter wants a USAC show they should pay for a USAC show. Not just benefit because the USAC drivers are in the neighborhood the day before. This should help drivers in the long run by USAC being able to secure larger purses for its competitors.

4/1/10, 12:41 PM   #47
cshuman

Carrytheleftfront, your comment will not get a response from me, especially when you wont sign your name to a post. I think we know why you didnt do that... I am not on here to start arguments and bad mouth someone, but Im going to express my opinions like all of you are, dont like em, dont read em..

First of all, I am a 30 year old man, who has raced all over the country, with damn near every association there is, I think by now I am entitled to have my own opinion without having my dad, or the whole SCRA thing dug up AGAIN! This has NOTHING to do with my dad, or that whole deal. The people out west chose a new direction (which they regret now) and as you said, thats water under the bridge, so dont turn this into something its not. Second, I agreed that the money was nice, congrats USAC Third, you are right, it is a choice, either play the game and be a follower, or dont, I choose not to, will I go run some USAC shows? sure.. will I be a member? Nope... Show me where I will benefit from being a member? To win this big championship you are going to HAVE to run all their races, in all their divisions, so thats gonna narrow it down to what? 5 guys tops? So what is being a member going to do for me? Fourth, I have gone to USAC on several occasions over the past decade, it doesnt work, unless of course they want it to. It took almost TWO YEARS to get them to change the rule about not needing head nets if you have a containment seat.. It was as simple as saying in the next drivers meeting, guys if you have a containment seats you dont need nets. You may have sent some emails, you got a answer, congrats.. Did you ask them to change a ridiculous bodywork rule, or why we pay two pit passes for a one day show, or a rule about open reds? Or was it about letting people run Ti rotors? Maybe it was about the hot topic at the drivers meetings out west on drivers doing 360s? Are you confused?? Thats because these are the type of issues the competitors bring up and get "yea we will look into that," or "thats not our deal, thats the promoter." This isnt trying to slander USAC, or start a fight or argument with anyone, yourself included, but unless you have been a competitor in the last decade, you dont really know what its like or what is invovled in racing with USAC. The only thing the fans really get to see is the stuff on these message boards. Are my comments less then flattering? Guess that depends on how you take it, but if there is one thing I did learn from my dad is you cant get in trouble for speaking the truth, and dont be afraid to speak up about what you believe, so in that sence, Im damn proud to be a "good soldier" for Ron Shuman...

4/1/10, 12:46 PM   #48
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
IMO USAC is not penalizing the drivers who do not race with them but rewarding the drivers who do. USAC went out and got extra sponsorship money for those loyal drivers.

Why should USAC give bonus money to a midget driver that will run a POWRi midget race the same night as a USAC midget race? Why should USAC give bonus money to a sprint driver that will run an open competition sprint race at Vernon the same night as a USAC sprint race at Eldora?

If a promoter wants a USAC show they should pay for a USAC show. Not just benefit because the USAC drivers are in the neighborhood the day before. This should help drivers in the long run by USAC being able to secure larger purses for its competitors.
How can a person argue with this logic? This is just good common sense which which is what some of the hypersensitive posters on here need to use more of. People tend to make these arguments about how it affects them personally. These decisions are made to try to do the most good for all concerned.

Besides, like my grandfather used to tell me "A hundred years from now, nobody will know the difference".

4/1/10, 12:55 PM   #49
DonMoore10

I'm just amazed at the supposed "race fans" that get on here and have nothing to say but childish nonsense ( and not on topic) about some race driver or car owner who faithfully supply the entertainment around the country so that you people have an enjoyable experience at a race track. I don't get it.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post

I certainly understand all the points made with this post but I'm not reading anything that has to do with the fans. Without the fans we have no race meets. To me the above paragraphs have everything to do with the "ME" attitude and have nothing to do with the goodwill of the sport in general. Once again, I've failed to read one post on here regarding how this rule benefits the overall goodwill and well being of open wheel racing which to me is at the heart of the issue. I still think, based on what I have read here, that this issue is going right over the top of most of the heads and not looking at the overall picture.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 4/1/10 at 1:05 PM.

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
4/1/10, 1:01 PM   #50
FishBurger

Either I am not understanding the USAC release on this subject OR some here are reading only their own posts.

As I get this rule it only impacts those competing for the new National Driving Championship (40K to win, 10K for 5th) and does not affect points earned by drivers or owners running for championships in the traditional national series (Sprints, Midgets, Silver Crown). That is (again, as I understand it), for example, a driver could run open comp at The 'Burg every Saturday night without regard to when, where, or what USAC is running and NOT lose any points earned toward the National Sprint Car (or other traditional) Championship. Only points earned toward the new National Driving Championship (which totals the points won in all divisions and requires the driver to be licensed in all divisions) wouild be at risk.

Have I got it wrong???

7 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, Jerry Shaw, mtek56, Panama, racefan20, RichH, Seadog
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Unfriendly Fan Rule