IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT - Olympic Luger Dies in Practice Run
2/15/10, 10:13 AM   #11
Re: OT - Olympic Luger Dies in Practice Run
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemidgetfan View Post
I agree with you 100%. They should put some sort of netting in that gap as a temporary measure (I'm thinking something similar to the stuff they use on the 18' racing skiffs). As a permanent solution I think the banking from that corner needs to be extended about another 100m.
My idea was to attach Lexan sheets maybe 1/2" thick or so right in front of the uprights on the track side. Make them several feet high. That way if the lugers get up that high, they will bounce off the Lexan and fall back down to the track. People could still see the track that way too.

Lexan is a very tough material to break yet somewhat pliable.

A continuous smooth surface is better than hitting that upright at 80 -90 MPH.

2/15/10, 11:27 AM   #12
v8j

we all know the danger of what we do.weather racing or luger.And we try to fix or improve it when death or injury happen.Things happen

2/15/10, 11:36 AM   #13
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by throb View Post
he made a hell of a "ping" on that pole didnt he?? sounded like a golfball off an aluminum driver.......
That's got to be the most ignorant post I have ever read on here. However I suspect you have the capacity to top it.
Seriously I understand you're having a hard time grasping the fact that Danica is a much better racer than you are.
By the way, do you still wear a badge and a gun?

4 members like this post: jjones776, Russ, Sandy Lowe, TQ29m
2/16/10, 8:51 AM   #14
suade82

Good to see that they did put a wall up. However, I disagree with the new start.

2/16/10, 11:20 AM   #15
throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
That's got to be the most ignorant post I have ever read on here. However I suspect you have the capacity to top it.
Seriously I understand you're having a hard time grasping the fact that Danica is a much better racer than you are.
By the way, do you still wear a badge and a gun?
it may be hard but i can try if you would like.......

2/16/10, 11:29 AM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Sad about the death, I pray for the family.

However, IMHO the death was caused by a failure to identify a potential problem and fixing it prior. They fixed this issue by building a wall to prevent a rider from being thrown from the track at that point (PRIOR to the competition)

Yet they lamed the event out to the point of boredom to both fans and competitors by lowering the starting points on the track. I believe they said the mens was moved to the womens start and the womens to the NOVICE.

Given the fact that no acceptable solution (Like the Wall) could be found. I could understand this. However, The athletics and fans both know racing is dangerous, Its the reason they compete (To tame the un-tame-able and beat the others) and the Reason we watch!

1 member likes this post: v8j
2/16/10, 2:18 PM   #17

I seen this on TV before i ever knew what was happening. Sad that it did happen. Somewhere my wife was watching where people were complaining about showing the accident. Supposedly the guy did not die instantly, it was on the way to the hospitol, so that is why they were able to show it. Not like it should matter, I do not think it should have been showed.

As far as the track goes, this is going to happen again. just like the tracks that we go to thru the summer. unfortunatly some time in the future, there will be an accident that claims a drivers life. People will be quick to jump on the track for this and that. Unfortunatly it is part of sports. Its goining to keep happening.

2/16/10, 2:45 PM   #18
Rpracing1

Problem did not lie with the track, but with the design of adjacent structures.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT - Olympic Luger Dies in Practice Run