IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gary Runyon on Barrett-Jackson
1/21/10, 11:26 PM   #1
Gary Runyon on Barrett-Jackson
bullringko

I don't normally post on here, but I saw something rather intriguing while watching the Barrett-Jackson auction on SPEED, salivating at all the American muscle cars going for big dollars.

A 1967 Chevy Nova just went across the block at $137,000, the highest of the night. The winning bid just happened to come from former USAC midget, sprint, and Silver Crown owner Gary Runyon, former owner of Jack's Tool Rental and current owner of Runyon Tool Rental and Party Time Rental, both Carmel, Indiana businesses. Gary always had the nicest looking USAC equipment in the mid to late '80s, winning two Turkey Night Grand Prixs with Warren Mockler and Ron Shuman, also providing Brad Doty with his last win (Paragon USAC 1988) and Bob East with his last drive in the '89 Hulman Hundred, running out of fuel late in the going. Gary was involved in sponsorship of several Indy 500 rides, and of course fielded a car for his kid Jack, getting out of the sport altogether after the ugly Stan Fox accident in '95. Of course Bob Varsha and Mike Joy didn't recognize Gary, but if those two guys were real racefans, they would have!

I always knew Runyon was a car collector but at $137K, I'd have to say the tool rental business is going quite well, having rented a chain saw from him last fall.

As they used to say on the old Racin' with D.O. and the King show, "Don't be a tool, rent one!"
Last edited by bullringko; 1/22/10 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Added a fact or two...

1/22/10, 3:13 PM   #2
Re: Gary Runyon on Barrett-Jackson
TQ29m

They just came on, with todays auction, the opening clip, shows a very brief photo of the car,and the buyer, I probably was sawing logs, when this was on in real time! Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gary Runyon on Barrett-Jackson