IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg 100 Lapper for Sprints - 7/16/66
1/10/10, 3:16 PM   #1
Lawrenceburg 100 Lapper for Sprints - 7/16/66
FishBurger

Here we go again. With apologies in advance for having only the top 3 and the last 5 feature finishers, I'm posting this with the idea that most here like seeing the driver names and car numbers from qualifications. I know I enoy the trips back in time

Time Trials - 26 Cars

-9 Calvin Gilstrap.............14.92
-5 Ross Smith.................14.57 Quick Time
-7 Bud Detmer................15.58
37 Roy Robbins...............15.33
22 Larry Miller.................15.01
11 Paul Keegan...............15.91
89 Allan Barr...................15.08
14 Sheldon Kinser............15.05
B4 Larry Cannon..............14.62
35 Bobby Adamson...........14.70
97 Bob Papoy..................15.07
53 Bobby Kinser...............15.11
16 Frankie Mack...............15.00
76 Bud Holmes.................14.90
70 Dick Gaines.................14.83
98 Orville Yeadon.............15.06
77 Chick Hale..................15.40
-4 Gil Hess......................15.32
64 Larry Dickson..............16.02
57 Cecil Beavers..............15.42
86 Earl Smith...................15.51
16 Jerry Poland................15.13
22 Charlie Masters............15.66
53 Harold Hayes...............16.43
10 Mike Smith..................15.60
12 Joe Burdette.................DNQ

Fast Car Dash - 4 Laps - 59.98

No.Driver........................Finish

-5 Ross Smith.................1 from 4th
B4 Larry Cannon...............2 from 3rd
35 Bobby Adamson............3 from 2nd
70 Dick Gaines..................4 from 1st

First Heat - 10 Laps - 2:32.00

-9 Calvin Gilstrap..............1 from 3rd
70 Dick Gaines..................2 from 5th
B4 Larry Cannon...............3 from 7th
35 Bobby Adamson............4 from 6th
22 Larry Miller...................5 from 1st
76 Bud Holmes..................6 from 4th
-5 Ross Smith...................7 from 8th
16 Frankie Mack................8 from 2nd

I don't know how many here are old enough to appreciate what a heck of a heat lineup this was. Then again, the next two heats were none too shabby either.

Second Heat - 10 Laps - 2 min. 36.21 sec.

-4 Gil Hess.......................1 from 2nd
53 Bobby Kinser................2 from 4th
37 Roy Robbins.................3 from 1st
14 Sheldon Kinser..............4 from 8th
97 Bob Papoy....................5 from 6th
16 Jerry Poland..................6 from 3rd
98 Orville Yeadon...............7 from 7th
89 Allan Barr.....................8 from 5th

Third Heat - 10 Laps - 2:39.04

57 Cecil Beavers................1 from 7th
22 Charlie Masters..............2 from 3rd
-7 Bud Detmer...................3 from 5th
86 Earl Smith.....................4 from 6th
77 Chick Hale.....................5 from 8th
11 Whitey Freeman.............6 from 10th - Freeman replaced Keegan
10 Mike Smith....................7 from 4th
64 Larry Dickson.................8 from 2nd
53 Harold Hayes..................9 from 1st
12 Joe Burdette.................10 from 9th

34 Laps of racing so far with lots of passing but nary a yellow or red.

Feature Race - 100 Laps

B4 Larry "Boom Boom" Cannon.....The WINNER from 21st
70 Dick Gaines................................2 from 19th
-9 Calvin Gilstrap.............................3 from 17th

early outs were:

37 Roy Robbins...............................19 from 7th
10 Mike Smith.................................20 from 2nd
97 Bob Papoy.................................21 from 12th
22 Charlie Masters...........................22 from 1st
76 Bud Holmes................................23 from 20th
53 Harold Hayes..............................24 from 24th

+I believe this was one of the first times I had seen Larry Cannon in action. After the sprint feature I moseyed out to the pay window where "Boom Boom" was holding court. I recall him being effusive in his praise for Dick Gaines, saying that he had never been pushed so hard for 100 laps before. Long time ago, but I recall the race being like a 100 lap trophy dash.
+Easterner (PA, I think) Bobby Adamson was a terrific driver in a beautiful car. I had hoped to see him in USAC competition, but heard later that he was a religious dude which precluded him from working (driving) on Sunday. Back then, most USAC events were on Sunday afternoons. BTW, I liked it like that.
+In retrospect, I'm struck by just how many drivers whom I had first watched at The 'Burg later went on to become USAC sprint car regulars who would win races and championships. Cannon, Sheldon, Hess, Dickson, Poland, and Masters from this event. And of course, Roy Robbins would win the first Knoxville Nationals. Gaines would win one later....both before the event was diminished by the addition of wings .
+I believe Mike Smith is the father of USAC official Jason Smith. Could be wrong about that.
+Earl Smith was primarily a stock car chauffeur (#11), and a damned good one, I might add. 'Burg track champ in '65 and '66. Had a couple or eleven beers with him at the beer stand one night during County Fair week. Came up to Richmond, IN from Alabama.....heckuva nice chap. I heard that Earl is still in Richmond.
+Whitey Freeman (from Middletown, OH) was also a stock car guy. He too won at least one stocker track title.
+I'm not sure about the Joe Burdette listed here as driving the #12. I was once told by Brett's dad, Joe, that he had raced stockers but never sprints. He wouldn't have been old enough (or even born yet) for this event. Grandpa maybe?? I'm thinking the #12 car might have been the dune buggy looking job piloted earlier by Frankie Mack, and maybe Bob Caldwell and Chub Schebelt.
+Some of these guys were super competitive, week in and week out, despite shoestring budgets. A pair of Buds (Holmes and Detmer) come to mind. They were usually top 5 or 10 runners. I believe Detmer was the grandpa of IOW member Kasey (or is it Casey?). Holmes and, of course, Larry Miller, Gaines, Bobby and Sheldon Kinser and perhaps others also have IOW board posting/lurking relatives.
+Boy, I doooooo get carried away with these retros, don't I?? Ya just had to be there. I guess I envy those of you here who are too young to have seen these wayback events. But, I'm not sure I would give up the memories even if I could be young once more.......oh, hell yes I would .

1/10/10, 5:52 PM   #2
Re: Lawrenceburg 100 Lapper for Sprints - 7/16/66
Danny Burton

Thanks, young man. And here I thought that Charlie Masters was a "pavement" guy.

Then as it is now at the 'burg, the hometown was well represented by Mr. Barr and Mr. Yeadon.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

1/10/10, 6:35 PM   #3
FishBurger

I was told by CincyKen that Mike Smith is the father of Danny Smith, not Jason Smith.

So, I was right.............when I said "I could be wrong".

1/10/10, 7:43 PM   #4
Pat O'Connor Fan

Marv, please keep these reports coming. They stir my memory, and we really need that
And don't worry about making some wee mistake -- the only ones safe from that are the ones who do nothing.
BTW, Marv, when Kim and I returned from our Christmas vacation in southeastern Tennessee, we drove past Lawrenceville on the Interstate. I wondered about the possibility that you might have been holding down a seat in the Bob Evans restaurant there as we passed.
Last edited by Pat O'Connor Fan; 1/10/10 at 7:47 PM.

1/10/10, 8:10 PM   #5
REH24

***+I'm not sure about the Joe Burdette listed here as driving the #12. I was once told by Brett's dad, Joe, that he had raced stockers but never sprints. He wouldn't have been old enough (or even born yet) for this event. Grandpa maybe?? I'm thinking the #12 car might have been the dune buggy looking job piloted earlier by Frankie Mack, and maybe Bob Caldwell and Chub Schebelt. **** Taken From Marv's Post Above

Marv there was a Joe Burdette that raced stockers at that time but don't know if it was Brett's Dad or Grandfather. I also thought the Burdette that race at that time did give a try at sprints as other stock car drivers would do back then.
The car that Frankie Mack drove that looked like a dune buggy last I heard had a tree growing up through it parked in a backyard down on Queen City Avenue in the Fairmount area of Cincinnati. You could always tell when Frankie was driving a certain car because he always had some kind of a flag or pennent flying from the roll cage.
Thanks Marv for these little tibets as they do bring back from names from the past.

REH

1/10/10, 9:27 PM   #6
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat O'Connor Fan View Post
Marv, please keep these reports coming. They stir my memory, and we really need that
And don't worry about making some wee mistake -- the only ones safe from that are the ones who do nothing.
BTW, Marv, when Kim and I returned from our Christmas vacation in southeastern Tennessee, we drove past Lawrenceville on the Interstate. I wondered about the possibility that you might have been holding down a seat in the Bob Evans restaurant there as we passed.
Steve ole Marv holds court there everyday since the stove is broken.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1/10/10, 10:34 PM   #7
HurstBros0

The whole field was inverted for those 100 lap shows .... They had a 1 second rule to catch sand baggers. If during the feature you went 1 second faster while racing than you qualified, you would be disqualified.

1/11/10, 8:46 AM   #8
Downey44

Joe Burdette could have possibly been the father of the boys racing mods now. And please do keep these coming. As stated it sure does bring back some fond memories of years gone by.

1/11/10, 9:14 AM   #9
speed bump

These old race reports are really great. It is hard to believe it has been over40
years ago my dad & I started going to races at Warsaw & New Paris Indiana.

I would drive 8 hours to go to a sprint or supermodified race.
I wouldnt cross the street to see a Napcar race, if you gave me free tickets.

1/11/10, 11:21 AM   #10
HarleyHoney

Joe Burdette referred to in this thread is Brett's Grandpa. He is also the father of the Burdette's that run Mods.

2 members like this post: FishBurger, REH24
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg 100 Lapper for Sprints - 7/16/66