IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's a Junior Focus Car?
10/21/09, 3:10 PM   #1
What's a Junior Focus Car?
Seadog

For the uninformed like me, whats a Junior Focus car? How does it differ from a Focus Car? Thanks.

10/21/09, 4:01 PM   #2
Re: What's a Junior Focus Car?
RichC

It's a regular Focus car with injector restrictors. In order to get the obtain insurance to cover younger racers at Ventura, the insurers wanted horsepower taken out of the car. They machined up some plastic restrictors that slide down the top of the velocity stacks. It's not uncommon to see the car run a Junior Focus race with junior at the wheel and then when the heat/main/whatever is over they yank junior out of the seat, restrictors out of the motor and dad/older brother jumps in and races the same car for the regular Focus race.

1 member likes this post: Seadog
10/21/09, 4:12 PM   #3
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
It's a regular Focus car with injector restrictors. In order to get the obtain insurance to cover younger racers at Ventura, the insurers wanted horsepower taken out of the car. They machined up some plastic restrictors that slide down the top of the velocity stacks. It's not uncommon to see the car run a Junior Focus race with junior at the wheel and then when the heat/main/whatever is over they yank junior out of the seat, restrictors out of the motor and dad/older brother jumps in and races the same car for the regular Focus race.
I am now informed. Thank you.

Do you have any idea why they only do it at Ventura? Thanks again.

On edit, I forgot about them being at the Speedrome in 2010.
Last edited by Seadog; 10/21/09 at 4:30 PM.

10/21/09, 4:59 PM   #4
JBX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post

Sounds to me like this is a concerted effort to streamline a "new" series where there is more growth & profits with a younger client base with a longer potential to stay with them. Pretty good idea on the surface if you ask me...

Seems to me that sanctioning 1/4 midgets to Kenyon midgets to Jr. Focus to Focus to Full Midgets makes sense if you are trying to keep/gain car count share with Midgets in general. Why else would USAC Regional partner with WOMS? The real question is if there is any vision to see this for the long run.

Let's face it, folks...Most people in the know would agree that:

-- Sprint cars (micro, mini, full-size, winged, dirt or pavement) > USAC has exposure with the latter two and the pavement element is hanging by a thread. Would it make business sense to put resources in building these other classes that have done a good job recruiting younger drivers? Much has been said on IOW about the success of other sprint car organizations. Maybe, the "racing teams have spoken" in choosing to patronize other clubs?

-- Silver/Gold Crown cars > We all know what happened here...Lots of disillusioned and bitter folks here. Perhaps, the Gold Crown badging & reorganization will help?

-- TORQ Off-Road Series > Lots of popularity with TELEVISION exposure. It also broadens the scope more nationally. Will the potential pay-off into a good investment?

IMO - I think where people in the stands tend to have such strong opinions is that they're unsure of exactly WHAT to support with USAC. Further fracturing of racing classes is just confusing. Diversifying for the purpose of creating something new to do is very dangerous. Ask Coca-Cola what happened when they offered "new Coke" after Pepsi was gaining market share. And, we all know what happened with GM's arrogance in having so many brands, models, & duplicated processes.

As a racing participant, I wish the Jr. Focus series luck. As a fan, I don't get it.
Jimmy B.

10/21/09, 5:27 PM   #5
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBX2 View Post
As a racing participant, I wish the Jr. Focus series luck. As a fan, I don't get it.
Jimmy B.

JB, we should buy a car. You're runnin' the Jr. Focus class though.
David.

10/21/09, 5:32 PM   #6
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post

On edit, I forgot about them being at the Speedrome in 2010.
This class would be a direct competitor for car counts against the Kenyon Midget. Although not as exciting, it would stop someone wanting to move up from buying a new car and motor.

10/21/09, 5:55 PM   #7
JBX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalmeister View Post
JB, we should buy a car. You're runnin' the Jr. Focus class though.
David.
Funny guy, DA! Did you have your fingers crossed when you said that?

10/21/09, 6:02 PM   #8
tqracer65

I was looking at a schedule somewhere cant remember where right off and I thought I saw Kenyon/Junior Focus. Is it possible they will be running together??

10/21/09, 10:48 PM   #9
slide22

I say let 1000/1200 mini sprints run with the focus cars and vice versa. Very similar horsepower and weights, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

10/22/09, 7:13 AM   #10
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBX2 View Post
Funny guy, DA! Did you have your fingers crossed when you said that?
ok fine....geez, I'll do the Jr. focus portion.
David.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's a Junior Focus Car?