IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thanks to DTWC teams
10/19/09, 12:21 PM   #1
Thanks to DTWC teams
Sandy Lowe

Last weekend Lawrenceburg Speedway hosted the Dirt Track World Championship. In addition to late models ($50,000 to win) and modifieds ($3,000 to win) sprint cars were added paying $5,000 to win. This event marked the sixth race in 2009 that Dave Rudisell and Lawrenceburg Speedway held a non wing sprint car race that paid $5,000 or more to win.

That's right, 6 races paying $5,000 to win or more!

There is not a promoter out there that has done more for sprint car racing in this area than Dave. In addition to the $5,000 to win DTWC Dave's other high paying events were:
  • April 18th - USAC sprints - $5,000 to win
  • July 10th - USAC sprints - $5,000 to win
  • August 22nd - USAC sprints - $10,000 to win
  • October 2nd - USAC sprints - $10,000 to win
  • October 3rd - MSCS sprints - $10,000 to win
Dave also added extra money to the MSCS purse to increase the payback and moved his Sprint Week show from his traditional Saturday night to Friday to make it easier for fans and teams in their travel. For the KISS race on May 23rd Bobby Gomph and the Lawrenceburg Safety Team (the best in the business) added an extra $1,000 to the purse bumping the pay up to $2,550 to win and $300 to start.

To show his support of the local racers Dave increased his regular purse to $1,500 to win and $225 to start. This is higher than any track in the area. Also, when his car counts were low Dave didn't cancel races or cut purses. Instead of sending cars home with just B Main pay he increased the starting field.

He paid more to support the racers who showed up to support him.

I want to take this opportunity to thank the drivers and car owners who showed their support of Dave Rudisell and Lawrenceburg Speedway by competing in the Dirt Track World Championship.
  • Scotty Weir #G1
  • Brad Stevens #2
  • Joss Moffatt #2C
  • Michael Fischesser #4
  • John Memmer #4M
  • Jarrod DeLong #10J
  • Coleman Gulick #14
  • Eric Smith #14
  • Ethan Barrow #15
  • Nic Faas #17F
  • Terry Babb #21X
  • Mitch Wissmiller #23
  • Brady Short #36
  • Josh Wise #37
  • Casey Riggs #37R
  • Jeff Bland, Jr. #38
  • Ty Deckard #38DD
  • Kory Crabtree #60
  • JJ Hughes #76
  • Robert Ballou #81

I am very appreciative that these twenty teams showed up to support Dave Rudisell and Lawrenceburg Speedway as he tries to better sprint car racing by offering races with higher purses.

Thank you,
Sandy Lowe
Last edited by Sandy Lowe; 10/19/09 at 3:59 PM. Reason: typo

10/19/09, 12:48 PM   #2
Re: Thanks to DTWC teams
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Where was everyone else? I was shocked and dumbfounded when i found out the car count Saturday afternoon. Not just in the Sprints but in all the classes.

10/19/09, 1:25 PM   #3
jjones776

it's no wonder the majority of the promoters won't pay over $1400 to win. drivers get nervous and don't show up. it's gettin old hearing everyone complain about not being able to make a living racing nonwing sprint cars when the money is there and only 20 cars show. thanks to the 20 that did!

10/19/09, 1:57 PM   #4
ThaBurgFan

Was a little dumbfounded by the lack of cars myself. All in all I felt I got my money's worth. I know Dave, Tim Johnson are probably going to hear some b!tchin about the surface but I guarantee that they put more hours into to making it the best surface possible considering the weather conditions and previous weekend than you would ever guess. Dave and his crew should be commended for all of their hard work to get the show in and making the best of a bad situation. What more can you say about Sandy Lowe. I watched the all of the features and so many cars had the same numbers, I don't know how she does it. It just shows that between the promotor, staff, scorer and safety crew that Lawrenceburg is the best around and I am proud that it is our home track.

Thanks to all for a great year!!!

Shane

3 members like this post: Chad Cunningham, mowerman, mtek56
10/19/09, 2:45 PM   #5
Dyno Don

The problem is that every major Sprintcar race should pay $5000 to win at every race. 20 years ago they paid $4000 to win in USAC and that is the norm now. How much has cost gone up?

A race like DTWC should have paid at least $20000 to win in todays dollars. Teams do not show up because the money is not enough to cover expenses, unless you have a mega sponsor.

To run a race team takes a lot of money, why tow for $5000 to win if there is no point fund to win to help with the costs?

Look at the Midgets, cost are out sight and car count is down. How can you justify a $40000 motor to win $2000? The same thing is happening to the Sprinters. The purse needs to go up accross the board.

10/19/09, 3:10 PM   #6
Shawn

Sprint Cars were added to the DTWC, so the $5,000 payday was more than what it could have been. The DTWC is a late model event, so having the Sprint Cars added was a bonus. They paid more than a weekly event, so I don't feel that we should blame them for trying...

10/19/09, 4:04 PM   #7
hacksaw

Thanks to all at the Burg for hosting the DTWC. I thought they did a great job even though the weather did not co-perate. Was also very surprised at the car count in all classes considering the purse that was offered. Hopefully next year it will be a nice weekend

10/19/09, 6:58 PM   #8
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Don View Post
The problem is that every major Sprintcar race should pay $5000 to win at every race. 20 years ago they paid $4000 to win in USAC and that is the norm now. How much has cost gone up?

To much!

A race like DTWC should have paid at least $20000 to win in todays dollars. Teams do not show up because the money is not enough to cover expenses, unless you have a mega sponsor.

Did not see any mega sponsor's on the cars that were there.

To run a race team takes a lot of money, why tow for $5000 to win if there is no point fund to win to help with the costs?

Points fund for a one off show with one feature?

Look at the Midgets, cost are out sight and car count is down. How can you justify a $40000 motor to win $2000? The same thing is happening to the Sprinters. The purse needs to go up accross the board.
Or the cost of racing a sprintcar needs to go down or level off.
JMO

10/19/09, 7:59 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I coudln't make the DTWC due to the schedule change. Im sure a few teams had planned on qualifying thurs and if they didnt at least make a mid high B main for sat, then they'd head to Kokomo. BOth tracks changed scheduals, Both tracks suffered in sprint count.

I don't want to sound negative but there has been several higher paying races this season. *NOT WELL ATTENDED*
2 at florence. 2g and 3g. A couple at Haubstadt that didn't draw much more than the feature start. KAMP, Terre. ECT.

IDK, I know lack of sponsorship and extra cash is killing a lot of teams. Expecially for traveling.

Thanks for those who made it when they could. Hope to see you more often.
Chuck

10/19/09, 8:44 PM   #10
Racerrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I coudln't make the DTWC due to the schedule change. Im sure a few teams had planned on qualifying thurs and if they didnt at least make a mid high B main for sat, then they'd head to Kokomo. BOth tracks changed scheduals, Both tracks suffered in sprint count.

I don't want to sound negative but there has been several higher paying races this season. *NOT WELL ATTENDED*
2 at florence. 2g and 3g. A couple at Haubstadt that didn't draw much more than the feature start. KAMP, Terre. ECT.

IDK, I know lack of sponsorship and extra cash is killing a lot of teams. Expecially for traveling.

Thanks for those who made it when they could. Hope to see you more often.
Chuck
Jerry had committed to run Kokomo and we want him to be able to honor all of his commitments. When the schedule changed it prevented us from particpating. Blame mother nature for our absence

Rob Hoffman
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thanks to DTWC teams