IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > American Racer Appeals
10/16/09, 9:39 AM   #1
American Racer Appeals
genmanag

For Immediate release

Donald D. Mateer III, President and CEO of Specialty Tires of America (STA), announced the filing on October 9, 2009, of an appeal of the court ruling dismissing STA’s Complaint against Hoosier Racing Tire Corp. and World Racing Group, Inc., for violations of the U.S. anti-trust laws. The decision rejecting the suit was issued on September 15 by a Federal Court in Pittsburgh. STA’s appeal was filed with the Federal Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia, PA.
Mr. Mateer stated that the court’s opinion is contrary to the intent of the anti-trust laws, and will lead to even less competition in the market for racing tires and other racing equipment. Hoosier maintains its monopoly position by use of long-term, exclusive agreements; boycotts, such as the implementation of a “National Sprint Tire” rule in 2007; and collusive behavior with World Racing Group and other sanctioning companies. Mateer said “We simply cannot let this ruling stand unchallenged. If we do so, the end result will be that a few large sanctioning companies and parts suppliers, like Hoosier, will dictate to promoters, car owners and racers not only the rules, but also how much extra race participants have to pay for ordinary parts. Already, in some parts of the country, promoters preferring to have more affordable races for their competitors cannot do so because of the overwhelming influence of a dominant sanctioning company. This ruling only aggravates that inequity.”
“Without a truly competitive market benefiting promoters, drivers and car owners,” Mateer said, “racer participation and car counts will suffer and the interests of a few dominant companies will determine the face of short track racing in America for everyone else. We believe that true competition fosters innovation, choice, reduced prices and better serves the many participants in the short track racing industry rather than a select few.”
STA manufactures American Racer® brand racing tires and markets them through its Race Tires America division.

For further information, contact: Thomas M. Schultz
General Counsel
Specialty Tires of America, Inc. and
Race Tires America, Inc.
4731 State Route 30
Greensburg, PA 15601
Email: tschultz@polymerenterprises.net

1 member likes this post: Dave Rudisell
10/16/09, 1:14 PM   #2
Re: American Racer Appeals
sprinter25

Does anybody know of ANY track that has an "American Racer" only tire rule?

Just wondering, because if there is one track out there that excludes all but AR tires, wouldn't that make their position in this lawsuit a bit contradictory.....

10/16/09, 1:49 PM   #3
tqracer65

I am curious about how a track or a sanctioning body actually goes through the process of making a tire rule that involves only one manufacturer. Is it contigency money or the tire company actually paying the track or making a deal on tires, what is actually involved in this process. I know with the three-quarter midgets a lot of American Racers are ran with a few Hoosiers showing up.

10/16/09, 2:44 PM   #4
RichC

In the past when dealing with tire rules, they've specified either the right rear only or LR, RR and RF tires. I noticed that the Goodyear deal with WoO and Knoxville only states the rear tires must by GY. I wonder if that is in response to this lawsuit "Well, we do allow them to run any tire they want on 50% of the car...."

10/16/09, 5:45 PM   #5
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
In the past when dealing with tire rules, they've specified either the right rear only or LR, RR and RF tires. I noticed that the Goodyear deal with WoO and Knoxville only states the rear tires must by GY. I wonder if that is in response to this lawsuit "Well, we do allow them to run any tire they want on 50% of the car...."
WISSOTA requires Hoosiers on all four corners in all of their sanctioned classes.

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter25 View Post
Does anybody know of ANY track that has an "American Racer" only tire rule?

Just wondering, because if there is one track out there that excludes all but AR tires, wouldn't that make their position in this lawsuit a bit contradictory.....
Don't know about tracks but the Ideal Ready Mix Sprint Invaders require "An American Racer tire (MC-2) J6UNN, BTC is the spec tire for the right rear."

10/16/09, 7:41 PM   #6
KOP

The Oil Capital Racing Series in Oklahoma is an American Racer RR only series:

SECTION III. TIRES

OCRS specified RIGHT REAR tire for all OCRS sanctioned events is the American Racer 102-16-0-15GT stamped “OK Medium" or the American Racer 102-16-0-15GT stamped (RSCS) D-36 (Hard). This is the only right rear tire to be used in any OCRS event. All other tires brands and/or compounds optional on other three corners. All Tires subject to durometer testing at any time. All tires must meet the durometer specifications within 5 points.

10/16/09, 8:39 PM   #7
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOP View Post
The Oil Capital Racing Series in Oklahoma is an American Racer RR only series:

SECTION III. TIRES

OCRS specified RIGHT REAR tire for all OCRS sanctioned events is the American Racer 102-16-0-15GT stamped “OK Medium" or the American Racer 102-16-0-15GT stamped (RSCS) D-36 (Hard). This is the only right rear tire to be used in any OCRS event. All other tires brands and/or compounds optional on other three corners. All Tires subject to durometer testing at any time. All tires must meet the durometer specifications within 5 points.
I have heard durometer tests aren't reliable. Is that why there is a 5 point tolerance?

10/17/09, 9:30 AM   #8
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqracer65 View Post
I am curious about how a track or a sanctioning body actually goes through the process of making a tire rule that involves only one manufacturer. Is it contigency money or the tire company actually paying the track or making a deal on tires, what is actually involved in this process. I know with the three-quarter midgets a lot of American Racers are ran with a few Hoosiers showing up.
Brad, I hope you are just asking, out of curiosity, and not thinking the TQ's need a tire rule. TQ's have always, as far as I know, had an open tire rule, and one of the reasons you see AR's more, is they have a more favorable tire, and compound line up to choose from, plus the difference in cost. Most of us have both brands ready, if we feel the need to change, during the race event. We are, as far as I know, about the only racing division, that has an open tire rule, and I feel that is one of the reasons we are successful, we are able to use what ever we have, or want, and I don't know that anyone can say, that either has an advantage over the other, but, we do have our own choice, which in this day and age, is something not everyone has. I'd like to see it stay that way, that's one reason I got into TQ's, some 20 years ago, simple rules, and as long as you stay in the box, you can try out your ideas, which makes for some interesting thinking. Only one rule I'd like to see added, is an all inclusive "Spirit and Intent" rule, which means in effect, just because it doesn't say you can't, doesn't mean you can! Bob

10/17/09, 10:42 PM   #9
tqracer65

Bob,
Yes I was just curious as to what factors play into a sanctioning body or track setting a tire rule like that. I really like the open tire rule the tqs have only way to go (leaving open brand) maybe with sprint cars having a few compounds from all brands but having different brands is what they call competition in the business industry which will help drive prices down if I learned right in my business management classes I am taking here in college of course.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > American Racer Appeals