IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > help identify sprint hood Gary B
10/4/09, 6:51 PM   #1
help identify sprint hood Gary B
ronp

This is a 80,s sprint car hood. This is thought to be Gary Bettenhausen #5 USAC car. I removed one of the decals and uncovered a hand painted rose. Any ideas about the rose or photos of the car. Thanks
Last edited by ronp; 10/4/09 at 8:58 PM. Reason: photo loaded

10/4/09, 7:28 PM   #2
Re: help identify sprint hood Gary B
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronp View Post
this is a 80,s sprint car hood. This is thought to be gary bettenhausen #5 usac car. I removed one of the decals and uncovered a hand painted rose. Any ideas about the rose or photos of the car. Thanks
tim delrose from joliet ill. Champ dirt car
car owner that gary won the championship for!

10/4/09, 7:35 PM   #3
SteveE

Tim Delrose ?

10/4/09, 8:26 PM   #4
B99

If you will try to post some overall photos of the hood we might be able to help much better.

It sure looks like the Delrose emblem, but I don't remember Tim running a sprint for Gary, that was usually done by GB himself.

10/4/09, 8:48 PM   #5
mortboyz

Tim Delrose/Dale Holt Champ Dirt Car, white with orange/gold trim.
Sponsored by Terre Haute First National Bank
Robert Galas, Chief Mechanic. O'fallon, IL

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Blackie Fortune have a rose on his cars, for the "Rose Brothers Trucking"?

10/4/09, 9:16 PM   #6
Ovalmeister

Not many remember but Gary DID drive a Delrose/Holt sprint car, not just the Silver Crown car.
Look behind the pitman arm and you can see "Delrose Holt", and to the right "Galas".
Snapped this at Terre Haute in 1981.
David.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08 PM ----------

This is also a Gary B/Delrose Holt/Galas sprinter.
Terre Haute 1980.
David.

5 members like this post: Hubie48, Hustlin-Hoosier, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
10/5/09, 2:06 PM   #7
Speedwrench

In the pictures of the white 11 car there is some kind of add-on to the left front hub/wheel.

I've seen this on some other cars, but Bettenhausen seemed to use it the most and I've never understood what the thing is. Some kind of protector so that one could run right up to the inside rail without the tire getting damaged?

Anybody know?

10/6/09, 5:22 PM   #8
SPRINTCAR

[QUOTE=Speedwrench;139468]In the pictures of the white 11 car there is some kind of add-on to the left front hub/wheel.

I've seen this on some other cars, but Bettenhausen seemed to use it the most and I've never understood what the thing is. Some kind of protector so that one could run right up to the inside rail without the tire getting damaged?

Anybody know?

[/QUOTE

Good eye, I've never seen this before.

10/6/09, 8:57 PM   #9
badgerfan

Its hard for my old eyes to tell but it looks like that "hub extender" on the front left is missing in the final picture where the car is up on the hook. Maybe got too close to the huggypole?

10/6/09, 10:30 PM   #10
Speedwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfan View Post
Its hard for my old eyes to tell but it looks like that "hub extender" on the front left is missing in the final picture where the car is up on the hook. Maybe got too close to the huggypole?
It's still there. Just more difficult to see in that picture.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > help identify sprint hood Gary B