IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
midget96 (Offline)
  #11 9/13/09 9:25 PM
Kevin,
This is the post of the decade. So many people on here type before they think or hide behind a "name", on subjects and matters that really have nothing to do with family and or life. You have never done either one. The discussion you and I had at Lawerenceburg was nothing short of showing God's wisdom thru you. Not only did it leave an expression on my youngest son (and fire me back up) but he could not quit talking about it thru out the evening. Thank You for your boldness. You and your father have always been a great example of racing and a racing family and for that I thank you. As for changing that now for the real Father is awesome.

God Bless
Kenny Jr.
B-square (Offline)
  #12 9/13/09 9:48 PM
Kevin,

Truer words couldn't have been written. Like you I've found myself pondering about my priorities when I'm covering a race (which I've done now for 13 or so years) for the newspaper. It hit me around mid-season that I was putting racing in front of everything (including my 8-year old son) and I didn't like the way I felt. That's why I'm going to take a long, hard look at things over the Winter and decide if I want to continue on doing what I used to "live" to do. I remember when Steve Butler and I were talking one time during an interview and he said that he got to the point that he "felt guilty when he wasn't racing and just as bad when he was at the track." In the last couple of years that statement has made more and more sense to me than I would have imagined. Kudos to you. I always enjoyed when you would visit Kokomo and like the others have said, you have proved that you are a Man of God.

Good luck with everything.

Brett
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #13 9/13/09 10:27 PM
I totally respect your decision Kevin but I hope you do realize that your knowledge shared here may have saved a life or several over the years. In safety, Setup and Sportsmanship. Thats Gods work too.

Take care, See you at the track and God Bless!
Chuck

Charles Nungester
2 Likes: JEFFSTOY, SprintManDave
pletchfan (Offline)
  #14 9/14/09 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by riskybrisky5:
I have made the decision not to post anymore unless it is a get well, a birthday wish, an update on Chase, defending false accusations about our race team, or reflections from the good ole days. I am done posting on topics about how to improve our sport, save our sport, or anything that has to do with bashing or belittling people. The reason I am doing this is because I am trying to get my life where I believe it needs to be. That would be putting God first, family second, and racing falling in some where down the line. While standing on the fence waiting for the B mains at Paragon tonight I was pondering my life and if I was really getting it right or was racing still coming before God and my family. About that time someone came up to me and asked me about my posts I have been putting on here. By the way he agreed lol. It hit me like a ton of bricks all I have been thinking about since these post's have started is this site and the purse thing. I am still ate up with racing and it's crazy that I let this purse thing eat me up so bad. Yes I know it is wrong but in the end what does all of this really matter? Nothing. All that really matters is our faith, our family and our health. For me I should just be happy that I know that I am saved by Jesus, I have a great family, and I have my health. I am not going to let this racing thing get me any longer. I am still going to go but I am going to just enjoy it. As long as we have fun and Chase is safe that is all that matters. If they fix the purse's great that would be awesome. But I am done worrying I have spoke my peace.

P.S. No promoters, Sanctioning bodies, or Fans have called me or PM'd me. I have had no rude comments that have made me make this decision. I am doing this for my self and encourage all of us to think about getting our priorities straight and not let this Internet and racing eat us up.

Also if any Promoter, Sanctioning body, or Fan would ever want to talk to me for any advice or help I am more than willing to help in any way to make this sport better as long as it doesn't get in the way of my priorities. So you can call me or PM with any questions.

Thank you all and God Bless
Kevin we TOTALLY agree with your post. God first is the only answer. Thank you for your bold witness.
zeroracer (Offline)
  #15 9/15/09 6:21 AM
Kevin,

I couldnt agree more, I kinda came to a similar conclusion earlier this year, when I was hit in the eye with the rock that almost blinded me, but I am blessed enough to still have my vision, and I really thought about the whole racing thing and life in general, I love race with every inch of who I am, but I also realized that nothing I ever do in a race car will matter as much as God, my family, and close friends. Realizing this has made a lot of things that used to really get to me seem so trivial. But, thanks for sharing your opinions, they are always welcome.
Knoke77 (Offline)
  #16 9/15/09 7:07 AM
Kevin, I completely understand your feelings. I lived and breathed racing for roughly 26 years and finally said, it's time to enjoy other things in life. I have been to maybe 6 sprintcar shows all year and while I enjoyed them I could have easily enjoyed doing something else with family or friends. I found this yesterday but it goes along with a lot of what you are saying.

Mayonnaise Jar & Two Beers....

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 Beers.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him.
When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls.
He then asked the students if the jar was full.
They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly.
The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls.
He then asked the students again if the jar was full.
They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar.
Of course, the sand filled up everything else.
He asked once more if the jar was full.
The students responded with a unanimous 'yes....'

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.
The students laughed..
'Now,' said the professor as the laughter subsided, 'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.

The golf balls are the important things---your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions---and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.
The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car..
The sand is everything else---the small stuff.
'If you put the sand into the jar first,' he continued, 'there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls.

The same goes for life.
If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.
Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Spend time with your children..

Spend time with your parents.

Visit with grandparents.

Take your spouse out to dinner.

Play another 18.

There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal.

Take care of the golf balls first---the things that really matter.

Set your priorities.

The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented.

The professor smiled and said, 'I'm glad you asked.'

The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.
8 Likes: BillyG, davidm, Eatin Dirt, JEFFSTOY, mtek56, SprintManDave, Steve Wendel