IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Miller experiment
8/17/09, 7:29 PM   #91
Re: Kevin Miller experiment
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
I'm interested to know who Don would deem worthy of being hired to his new perfect USAC.
Posted via Mobile Device
For starters, if you've ever received or plan to receive one penny from a midget tire company or engine builder , you'd be disqualified as an employee (yeah, the old black flag heeve ho ) immediately. That would solve about 95% of the current problems.

8/17/09, 7:56 PM   #92
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenwheelRob View Post
Wow!! I can't believe you posted that, when you come down off your high horse read this. I would love to see Regular Joe's or Weekend Warriors race with USAC! I don't like seeing 10 big money teams race, but from this post I think the problem is this elitist mentality a lot people involved really have. I'm shocked at a couple of these post's. I'd rather see a full field of avg. car's than half a field of top quality cars, and the people that I go to the track with agree. Weekend Warrior's are just as good as those mentioned above and deserve to make just as much!!

If I'm not mistaken wasn't USAC started with Weekend Warrior who held full-time jobs? Maybe they should go back to their roots!

Otherwise have fun watching a field of 11 fella's!
OpenwheelRob, I don't know who you are, but that was beautiful man.
David.

8/17/09, 8:14 PM   #93
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalmeister View Post
OpenwheelRob, I don't know who you are, but that was beautiful man.
David.
Since when do weekend warriors travel cross country, since it is a national series, and race during the weeks? How can you not understand that? Where is the common sense around here? THE USAC NATIONAL SPRINT CAR SERIES MUST ENABLE THE FAITHFUL FOLLOWERS TO MAKE A LIVING! It's that simple - if you don't understand that much, you don't understand anything. Developing a strong core and and attracting locals as you travel is how a series works...
Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: RacingGirl10, reserved1, RichH
8/17/09, 8:43 PM   #94
usac1957

Kirk, walk away from your free paying job now ,and find a sponsor and put your own race team together and let us know how it works out.

1 member likes this post: pgray
8/17/09, 8:45 PM   #95
spindell

How many current USAC stars, Dave Darland, etc. race regularly at places like Kokomo, Gas City and Bloomington on off weekends?
Is this just to keep the reflexes sharp, or does the $1200 or whateve these tracks pay to win actually come in handy in paying the bills after racing season ends?

Ron Shuman's name was mentioned earlier. In the late 90's, he co-sanctioned a race at Terre Haute with USAC that paid $17,000 to win.
I thought that this was going to be the event that would grow into traditional sprint car's version of the Knoxville Natls.
I don't know what happened, but in succeeding yeas, every time SCRA came back here, USAC schduled against them. (And these are guys who work for a living and use vacation time to travel). At the same time, for the most part, the only time you seen midwest drivers at the Western World or Oval Natls. was in a western car.

I have not done the math, but it seems to me, that the majority of USAC races are scheduled in or near Indiana, with a few trips around the country. Closer to an All Star type racing than the WoO National series. The All Stars go to Fla. in the winter and do a Thunder Through the Plains in the summer, and a trip or two to Pa. each year. Add a trip to Ca. in the fall, and you'd have a schedule very similar to USAC and probably about as many competitors who use up all of their vacation time on these trips.

I would LOVE to see USAC become a series that could support 10 to 15 full time teams traveling the country, and paying the racers a livable wage.

8/17/09, 8:53 PM   #96
Sprint63122

Quote:
Since when do weekend warriors travel cross country, since it is a national series, and race during the weeks? How can you not understand that? Where is the common sense around here? THE USAC NATIONAL SPRINT CAR SERIES MUST ENABLE THE FAITHFUL FOLLOWERS TO MAKE A LIVING! It's that simple - if you don't understand that much, you don't understand anything. Developing a strong core and and attracting locals as you travel is how a series works...
Posted via Mobile Device
I would just like to know how many teams you think can go right now like you want all over the country and race it is strong in Indiana and not one other state comes close to cars available.Now has for your big teams Stewart,Kasey, Kuhns and Hoffman even though rob does not like being included in this group who else can possibly run that way and so far we hear Kasey is out of this full time at the end of the year and Stewart is going to one sprint car and that is all.How can you actually have a national champion when you only have 12 sprints and 10 midgets show up for a national race date sounds more like a special club there.If you want this to get bigger you have to grow from the inside then branch out it will not happen any other way.Has for you using the woo has a example I am glad to see that knoxville is starting to put up a fight on the rules and make there own to cut costs some people need to wake up before it gets any lower.

8/17/09, 9:02 PM   #97
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't expect the weekend warriors to travel across the country during the week. Since it's a "national" series, based in Indiana, I would expect full fields in Indiana, on a Saturday night! Dirt or pavement, sprints or midgets, there should be ample support in the state of Indiana. Obviously that is not the case as Salem woefully proved.
10 sprints and 11 midgets at a "national" event in Indiana is just tragic. How long do you think the "faithful followers" are gonna be able to make a living at that rate? If you don't understand that, you just don't understand anything.
David

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by usac1957 View Post
Kirk, walk away from your free paying job now ,and find a sponsor and put your own race team together and let us know how it works out.
Can't wait for this response.
David

1 member likes this post: pgray
8/17/09, 9:21 PM   #98
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by usac1957 View Post
Chuck Castor - As soon as you describe what a free paying job is, I'll let ya know. Until then, quit taking shots from the weeds. And for the record, I do want to be a car owner. That's why I've picked the brain of so many owners and drivers to educate myself so well on their concerns and ideas. Obviously, not many of you guys do the same. And it's getting harder and harder to deal with that...
Posted via Mobile Device

8/17/09, 9:28 PM   #99
spruett

I think Kirk has this right when he says a strong core supplemented by attracting locals at the tour stops is what makes a national series work. That is certainly how WOO works with local and regional guys coming in and out of tour as it moves along. I personally get excited to see a local driver who shows up and hangs with the big guys with everything stacked against them for the most part

I also would like to see these three USAC classes thrive with the touring pros being able to make a living at it. I think non wing cars are a lot more fun to watch and running on dirt and pavement makes it even better. Not sure how WOO did it but it has created a more sustainable business model than USAC with less exciting racing. All of this took place well before current USAC management got in.

I think you saw the core at Salem 11 or 12 cars per division. In 2007 it was probably 20 core teams with another 20 -30 local track regulars moving up for several races. In those days Salem would have 25 cars and sprint weeks 65. There are about 20 cars missing in action on average this year.

Someone mentioned Stewart and Khane cutting back next year . If these wealthy , powerful well connected guys can't make it work that tells you something about all of motorsports right now. Even Kyle Busch had to cut down on his beloved Late Model team.

USAC has a tough row to hoe but it ultimately is still one of the most exciting series there is. I think the ingredients are there to create a great racing product . They need to make some right moves during the downturn and prepare it for growth when the economic conditions improve... Live to play another day. That is what a lot of us have had to do this year in business.

That means cancelling some races for the balance of the year and having less races next year . I guarantee car counts would go up as would attendance per show and costs would go down. Everyone would be better off.
Last edited by spruett; 8/17/09 at 9:31 PM. Reason: adding info

1 member likes this post: old timer 38
8/17/09, 9:29 PM   #100
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint63122 View Post
so far we hear Kasey is out of this full time at the end of the year and Stewart is going to one sprint car and that is all.
Uh oh........ Even the zillionaires are bailing..........

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Miller experiment