IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tracks you saw racing at but are now gone
6/8/09, 12:56 PM   #31
Re: Tracks you saw racing at but are now gone
Boston41

Shangri La in Owego. But no, fear, in a week or so they are opening up 'Shangri La II', which is supposed to be a fast track.

6/8/09, 2:13 PM   #32
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Close ta home was Ole' San Jose,Baylands,Alviso,Vallejo,Dixon,W.Capital,Oakla nd/Cow Palace/S.J.indoors,Clovis,Kearney Bowl,Ascot Park,early Altamont,were some all time favorites grow'n up out west!!...........
_________
Brucer'

6/8/09, 2:37 PM   #33
PittDude

Ascot Park
16th Street
an don't forget
MANZY now

6/8/09, 2:49 PM   #34
Dyno Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Harrison View Post
Little Springfield & Louisville Motor Speedway (the oval, not the weird triangular, 1-lane track)
I remember Louisville Speedway well.

The first time I as there, my then girl friend (now wife) won a trip to the track. It included suite tickets, a riverboat brunch and a 2 nights stay at Dalts.

All they ran was Speedrome type stuff and we left after getting our fill of free food and beer and went back to the hotel to watch The Thunder Series on ESPN.

I said then that would be a cool track for USAC Sprints or Midgets. Well the next year they had The Midgets and the year after The Sprints. Great shows and the locals could not believe the speeds these cars produced. Plus the fact you could buy a suite ticket for $25 dollars. Free food and beer all nigth long and VIP parking. Great deal.

When they changed the track configuration to a almost all left turn road course, it made for some odd Sprintcar racing.

The next year they did away with being able to purchase suite tickets and the track was sold shortly there after.

I have fond memories of the good times I had there and I miss the place.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410racer View Post
Was that the name of the place?? I am trying to shake the cobwebs out of my brain about it. If you raced there and can tell a little about it i would appreciate it...
Am i anywhere near the description about the place?
Could it have been Jungle Park?

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittDude View Post
Ascot Park
16th Street
an don't forget
MANZY now
I too will miss Manzy.

By 16th Street Speedway, I hope you are talking about the original.

My grandfather took me there when I was maybe 4 or 5. All I remember it was loud and it stunk. I found out in later years they were running castor oil.

6/8/09, 2:57 PM   #35
Speedwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410racer View Post
Someone is going to have to help me out here.

Wasn't there a track that was carved out of a set of hills somewhere near Raccoon Lake in West/Central Indiana?
If i remember right, it was a high banked freak of nature in the middle of nowhere. It ran a few sprint car shows but not many. I recall seeing a flyer at one the gas stations on the way out west on US 36. They said the pits were up on top and the hill was too steep for to get cars up and down to the track. I went by it one time during the middle of the week to look at it and was intrigued by it but never seen anymore ads or flyers.
Maybe in the early 90's or so?? Anyone ??
Out of curiousity, I remember hearing of a track in the area of Cloverdale. Is this the same track you're referring to?

6/8/09, 3:01 PM   #36
jontheturboguy

Manzy speedway, 16th st, the RCA dome.

6/8/09, 3:13 PM   #37
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwrench View Post
Out of curiousity, I remember hearing of a track in the area of Cloverdale. Is this the same track you're referring to?
That would have been Cataract. Seems to me Randy Kinser won the only feature I heard of being ran there.

The track in Logootee (Martin Co. Speedway) was much the same. The stands were on one hill-side and the pits were on another.They piled dirt at each end of the valley to make the turns. Pretty steep banking to go off of on the backside of the turns but 3-4 had a fence. Earth mover tires around the infield claimed a crankshaft of mine when the driver dodged a pileup and hit them head on. Stopped the car in it's tracks. Went back two years later with a different car and driver and won an HSCA 360 feature. Everyone else was afraid to run the top.

Both of the main HSCA tracks are now closed, those being Montpelier and Bryan OH.

How about tracks that never were, like X-plex and the one near Crane.

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

6/8/09, 3:26 PM   #38
Tim

I grew up watching the races at Speedway Park on South Eubank Ave. in Albuquerque, NM. The track was located near the end of the runway for Kirtland Air Force Base and, it seemed, that every race night during the National Anthem we'd get a flyover from a military jet of some sort or another. Probably wasn't planned, but it was neat, anyway.

My younger years were spent watching Buddy Taylor and a young Johnny Capels go at it. Later on it was Larry Demaree, Rick Means and others. One of my heroes was Shawkheet Hindi (Dion's Dad) when he drove the Ken Schultz Buick V-6, I think with a turbocharger. Joe Herrera (Johnny's Dad) drove supermodifieds at the time, which were generally a support class for the sprint cars.

Racing was popular enough at the time that Fridays were open wheel night with sprint cars and supermodifieds, and Saturdays were stock cars. The place pretty much packed both nights. And the street outside the track was where the local street racers congregated and street raced (they'd stop when the races were over to let the parking lot empty, then would get right back at it, at least until the cops showed up).

If you read Doug Auld's column in Sprint and Midget this month, I think he talks about being at the race track when nobody's there and still hearing the cars and the cheering, etc. I went back to Albuquerque a few years ago and, of course, the track is gone, but the area hadn't been built up. I could still see the outline of the track in the sand and, as I stood there, I swear I heard, above the noise of the engines, the announcer say, "In a three way jockey for the win, it's .................."

Lord, forgive me. I do love it so.

Tim Simmons

6/8/09, 3:43 PM   #39
TQ29m

Guess I'll have to agree with Danny, the 25th St fairgrounds tracks(s) in Columbus, and the "Columbus Speedway" I believe was it's official name, it went by many others, "The Hole", "The Pit", East off hiway 7, at the East edge of Columbus, had the good luck to see a lot of racing there growing up, then actually got to do some racing there myself, before they closed, I'm sure Butch W. can lay claim to a few races there himself, loved to hear those old Rangers on that half mile. Bob

6/8/09, 3:49 PM   #40
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedwrench View Post
out of curiousity, i remember hearing of a track in the area of cloverdale. Is this the same track you're referring to?
that would be cataract

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tracks you saw racing at but are now gone