IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tony George
5/30/09, 10:49 AM   #91
Re: Tony George
brian26

Everything is an aquired taste in someones eyes. The world has Formula 1, we have INDIANAPOLIS. Seems about even to me.

Being 41, I still find F1 an aquired taste. I cannot, nor ever will understand why F1 teams spend as much as they do to get roughly the same thing as an IRL car or vice-versa.

My company that I work for, Michelin, helped to send an F1 car to Bonneville a few years ago to see what their top speeds were.---------I'm certain they used the long course--245mph top speed! Yes, an F1 car.

There is a wall, a limit as to just how fast these rear engine cars can go with todays downforce, which is needed to deal with corners and such. Innovation? Or maybe just a high tech moneypit?

Just to name a few, here are some drivers that SHOULD be there today. Yes they went for the dollar, and/or the oppurtunities that IRL couldn't give them--Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Eric Gordon, Stevie Reeves, PJ Jones,Ryan Newman, Kasey Kahne,Dave Blaney,JJ Yeley,Richie Tobias,Shane Hollingsworth,--just to name a few.

These guys are the continuation of the kind of drivers seen in the 1950's and 1960's, no doubt about that. That formula for a driver would sell today(NASCAR has made tons of money from their type), but that formula isn't there at Indy so much anymore.

Real race car drivers are masters of adaptation, The human mind is an amazingly adaptable unit when someone wants something soooooooo bad. But here's the irony--There could be a time for the car, the car to adapt to drivers needed to be there.

For the most part, this whole rear engine thing has gone so far forward, that looking back is impossible.

It takes millions of dollars to run Indy, the drivers and personalities are in this country to help sell the show, yet we get Milka Doughnuts?

Opperman making his way into the field on bump day in '76 was a better story than this years 500, that'sa fact. Drivers like him, were riding on the waves made from years and years of front engine glory set by others, so when they could get a ride at Indy in a rear engine car, it was fine.

Today, Felippe Markaspagetti is able to show up with a truckload of cash and suitcase of talent. He gets a ride, and even if he makes a show, it is not as real as it was when people were willing to die trying to get to Indy through the short tracks. Not the same.----------The lack of sincerity sells like yesterdays bread.

So..If fenders are the only way I can see Stewart make his way around Indy, using roughly the same techniques as the roadster drivers of the 60's- then I'll put up with DW and the Groundhog.

5/30/09, 11:19 AM   #92
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
maybe the 500 will be run on the road course now... cart, chump car, who ever is left still complains at every corner about high speed ovals. Indy is about the only place they keep their mouths shut$$$$$.. road course IRL racing still has little passing.Tony did all he could to appease the road racers. The month of May had huge crowds this year dispite the economy. i think things are on the upswing at the speedway. Tony made that place a real world class place and i believe his grandfather would approve. The board has made a huge mistake in my mind......
I beg to differ. I've been to 12 consecutive 500's (sat in the same seats), and this year, for the first time, I noticed LOTS of empty seats on the frontstretch. Personally, I think some of the seats are over-priced and the track is finally feeling that.
If you know anything about Indy, just take Pole Day as an example; as recent as the 90's, IMS was packed on Pole Day with over 200,000 fans- for qualifying. Now they're lucky if they get 200,000 for ALL 4 qualifying days combined!

What the Indy 500 really needs is some worthy American drivers.

Someone beat Chip Ganassi in the head and tell him to put Clauson in an IndyCar.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinser View Post
They got their chance and then someone with a big checkbook who couldn't carry the helmet bag of most of the people on that list bought their rides. Let's face the facts the IRL has the shallowest talent pool in professional motorsports.
Posted via Mobile Device
I love IndyCars, and I'll have to agree.

A couple of drivers are a complete joke.

5/30/09, 1:14 PM   #93
smbpreformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint63122 View Post
Indy car racing could be a great series but they have a few problems just like everything else does these days.There biggest problem is they need to have Ganassi, Andretti, and Penske leave and start there own series called the GAP and let them spend all of the money so they can have the pushbutton controls on the steering wheel,spend way to much on wind tunnel and aero and run there street and road race follow the leader program they like and they can all socialize all weekend instead of really racing.The IRL can now go and get rid of all of the wings and areo packages no controls on the steering wheel and no computers on the car period bolt in your 355 chevy,ford or mopar motor fuel injected motor and lets see who can really drive a race car now open wheel indy car style.
I think they have that series already it is called traditional pavement silver crown/ big car/ champ car what ever you want to call them but lets face the facts noone pays to see them execpt for the very select few, The crowds each year is getting smaller and smaller and the best drivers in the world are not comming to America to run them

5/30/09, 1:37 PM   #94
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
What the Indy 500 really needs is some worthy American drivers.

3 of the top 5 finishers in NAPCAR's recent "All Star" event have raced midgets, sprint cars, and Silver Crown cars! Can't say the same for the 500, now can we?
I went to Indy back in the late '50s and early-to-mid '60s. Didn't go again until the late '90s. Went then because I wanted Kim to see what the Indy experience was like -- I think all fans need to go at least once just to see what it is really like. We were lucky, there were a few drivers like Tony, Billy, Tyce, etc. we had watched race on short tracks many times.
Sure cannot say the same now.
IRL, a.k.a. Cart Light

BTW, where have you been hiding, Chris?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tony George