IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Salute to the Hall of Fame - Bettenhausen, Bigelow, Chassey, Dickson, Jones...
5/12/09, 10:04 PM   #1
Salute to the Hall of Fame - Bettenhausen, Bigelow, Chassey, Dickson, Jones...
Sandy Lowe

The Vincennes University Midwest TQ Racing League will open their 2009 racing season on Saturday night May 16th when Hometown Country WIFE-FM 94.3 presents the “Salute to the Hall of Fame” at the Rush County Fairgrounds in Rushville, IN. This event will honor some of the all-time great drivers that are enshrined in the National Sprint Car and National Midget Hall of Fames.

Hall of Fame drivers that are scheduled to appear include:
GARY BETTENHAUSEN
1969 & 1971 USAC Sprint champion, 1980 & 1983 USAC Silver Crown champion

TOM BIGELOW
1978 USAC Sprint champion, 1984 USAC Midget champion

STEVE CHASSEY
President of the Midget Racing Hall of Fame

LARRY DICKSON
1968, 1970 & 1975 USAC Sprint champion

BUBBY JONES
1983 & 1984 CRA Sprint champion

MEL KENYON
1964, 1967, 1968, 1974, 1977, 1981 & 1985 USAC Midget champion

LARRY RICE
1973 USAC Midget champion, 1977 & 1981 USAC Silver Crown champion
The “Rushville Rocket,” Tony Stewart will also be honored. Stewart is unable to attend the festivities due to his NASCAR commitments at Lowe’s Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC, but he will be represented by his father Nelson Stewart. Nelson will also bring along his #59 three-quarter midget and will be competing later in the evening.

Mel Kenyon will also be behind the wheel driving a TQ owned by Jay Parks. Others expected to compete alongside Stewart and Kenyon include former TQ champions Kenny Byrge and Robert Nichols, Rushville’s own Tate Martz, Jason Willis, Kyle Lux, Rick Robinson, Tad Cheek, Tim Lynch, Chris Mann, Chad & Brett Hankins, Eddie Gagnon, Tony Giltner, and Don “Rocket” Epley of Newton, AL.

The grandstand gates will open at 4:00 pm and the Hall of Fame drivers will be introduced to the crowd at 6:00 pm. After introductions there will be a meet & greet/autograph session while the Vincennes University TQ’s qualify. At 7:00 pm Rushville Mayor Merv Bostic will present each of the Hall of Fame drivers with a “Key to the City.”

Racing will start at 7:15 pm with the Jackson Oil & Solvents Duel for Fuel pitting the fastest four qualifiers against each other. Following the Duel will be two rounds of heat races and a B main. Capping off the night will be a 50-lap feature.

Admission is $10.00 for adults 16 and over, $5.00 for children 6 to 16, children 5 and under are free.

For more information on the Vincennes University Midwest TQ Racing League please visit their website at www.mtqrl.com.

Attachment 1076

1 member likes this post: Uncle_Charlie
5/13/09, 9:37 AM   #2
Re: Salute to the Hall of Fame - Bettenhausen, Bigelow, Chassey, Dickson, Jones..
bgbrd

5/13/09, 10:55 AM   #3
Re: Salute to the Hall of Fame - Bettenhausen, Bigelow, Chassey, Dickson, Jones..
Shawn

Awesome! This is a great idea!

5/13/09, 11:05 AM   #4
Ovalmeister

All of those guys were childhood heros' of mine, man I wish I could be there. There were rumors lately of Larry Rice and health issues, hope they were just stupid rumors. Hopefully we will be able to make Lawrenceburg! Oh and....NO MORE RAIN!
David.

5/13/09, 11:29 AM   #5
racefan20

Sandy, if the posts concerning Larry Rice's health are true, and I have it from a pretty good source that they are, then I doubt he will be attending.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

5/13/09, 1:03 PM   #6
LovetoRace

I think it is a great idea to have a hall of fame race, but what do any of these guys have to do with TQ racing? I know they all are racers but not one of them minus Tony Stewart have ever raced a TQ, and he wont even be there. Save those HALL OF FAMERS for USAC or another race club where those drivers actually have something to do with the club.

And....As for Nelson Stewart coming to your race, I doubt it, considering "The One and Only" Ronnie Combs put his car together and Tony raced in the UMRA not your club. But it is a good idea

5/13/09, 1:53 PM   #7
Shawn

I must say, excuse the MTQRL for trying to do something for the fans. However, it's not only a cool deal for the fans, but also the owners, drivers and officials! Plus, they are choosing to honor the sport of midget, sprint and silver crown racing, which I think is very cool! Why? Because I'm a race fan, along with many others. Along with this event, everything that this series has done is for the drivers, owners and (you guessed it) the fans.

One last thing, you're doing nothing but making the other club look bad. As a matter of fact, you're showing a classic example of why there was ever a thought of a new series. You're not the only one, but then again, maybe you're all the same person (i.e. - violin). I was involved with the other series for a long time and I know how it works and what goes on. I don't know everything, but don't think I'm just some fan in the stands that hasn't seen what goes on. Your best bet is to focus your energy into making the other series better and move on.

Thanks!
Last edited by Shawn; 5/13/09 at 1:54 PM. Reason: Typo!

5/13/09, 2:21 PM   #8
bgbrd

SHAWN
You are correct. And thanks for signing your name.

Dale
Posted via Mobile Device

5/13/09, 2:24 PM   #9
TQ29m

Shawn, this persons identity is known, someone from UMRA should put a muzzle on them, they're only hurting the TQ image, and especially the group that they think they are helping, this phony stuff has to cease, it only casts a shadow, over an already shakey racing venue, it is not helping the UMRA, and is not hurting the MTQRL! My name is Bob McClure, as if you didn't know, and I approve this message! Bob

5/13/09, 2:27 PM   #10
bigmojo5

I think Nelson, like a few other drivers, is going to race with both clubs -- choosing which is the most convenient for him when his schedule is considered. At least, that's what he told me earlier this year.
I think it might be interesting to learn just who among that Hall of Fame group has driven TQs before. You might be surprised. Here's a short list of some that I know did -- Mario Andretti, Tim Richmond, Pancho Carter, Butch Wilkerson, Sonny Ates.
Jim Morrison

1 member likes this post: Uncle_Charlie
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Salute to the Hall of Fame - Bettenhausen, Bigelow, Chassey, Dickson, Jones...