IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A few random thoughts from Tri-State's double header weekend
5/14/18, 10:37 AM   #1
A few random thoughts from Tri-State's double header weekend
openwheelfan1

After spending the weekend watching MSCS, MOWA and WoO sprint cars at Tri-State Speedway there were some interesting observations.

Kevin Thomas was bad fast in the #63 Sunday night.

Brady Bacon proved that winged cars can pass. He was coming through the field Sunday night until caught up in someone else's mess.

Mas McGhee is starting to get the winged deal figured out. He is showing flashes of speed and he was competitive in the winged car both nights. I still would rather see him in a non wing car though.

Kevin Thomas was extremely lucky the R front studs broke as he was slowing down for the yellow. Had the yellow not flown and/or the wheel studs broke 5 seconds earlier it would have been a big ride

Spencer Bayston's flip could have been tragic. He missed the track gate pivot post by a only few inches.

I was not at Eldora (I stress that) but I have watched the USAC and WoO highlights. Both tracks should be applauded by how quickly they got their shows completed Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Eldora's track crew should take lessons from Tri-State's on how to prepare a tacky track.

The MOWA Feature Saturday night may be one of the best winged features I've ever seen

All in all, a great weekend. In the car on the way home Sunday by 9:40, and both the MSCS Feature and the MOWA feature completed by 9:15 Saturday night.

5/14/18, 11:02 AM   #2
Rpracing1

It looked as if KTJ made slight contact with a car going down the back straight right before wheel came off. I would sssume that contact led to failure.

5/14/18, 11:49 AM   #3
Re: A few random thoughts from Tri-State's double header wee
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Eldora's track crew should take lessons from Tri-State's on how to prepare a tacky track.
A highly tacky Eldora Speedway does not provide the best racing, esp. for winged cars. I've seen it extremely tacky after rain, and it was a train.

Now it'd probably go off better in non-wings, but Chris Windom said after his heat even in the non-wing cars clean air matters.

And dirt late models, they're a lot liked winged cars anymore with aero, just slower.

That said, wish the Eldora would have an actual cushion more often; that makes a difference.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, motorhead748, nathans1012
5/14/18, 5:46 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

A actual cushion would keep em from sliding right into the wall. They might still crash, But there'd be at least a shot at not hitting it. I don't know if it's mostly wood chip or what but they just slide straight thru it.

5/14/18, 8:45 PM   #5
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
A actual cushion would keep em from sliding right into the wall. They might still crash, But there'd be at least a shot at not hitting it. I don't know if it's mostly wood chip or what but they just slide straight thru it.
Running 130 mph may have something to do with it. That's the intriguing part of eldora. When you've seen someone run the wall for 30-40 laps you know it was special

2 members like this post: mc/rider, ossuks
5/15/18, 11:05 AM   #6
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Back to the OT for the moment; I was not at Tri-State Saturday (was at Eldora) but the weekend seems to really have momentum built into it with a few of the MOWA guys staying to see what they can do with the Outlaws and just 2 great days of racing. I would love to see the track schedule the double header weekend like this next year after doing it now for 2 straight years. Maybe not on Mother's Day Weekend but see if they can get a MOWA and WoO weekend to work out on a F-S or S-Su. And if not able to get both then maybe try for a 2 day WoO weekend. Some of the best racing you'll ever see.

1 member likes this post: Ambrose36
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A few random thoughts from Tri-State's double header weekend