IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ISF (Offline)
  #1 1/8/14 11:27 PM
I know it isn't open wheel but a dirt track racing legend passed away this morning and his passing warrants a mention. Mr. Ernie Derr of Keokuk, Iowa died at the age of 92. Mr. Derr was a 12 time IMCA stock car champion and was a veritable master of the dirt tracks from the mid '50's well into the 1970's.

Rest in peace Mr. Derr, you were one of the best at what you did.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
14 Likes: billwill7, Bobv, dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, jjsprt92, Kansasdirtfan, lightning01, oppweld, PJ Wright, racephoto1, racing2bwithu2, ronmil, Seadog, Sprintracing59
Sausage (Offline)
  #2 1/9/14 9:05 AM
Thoughts and prayers for the family. I saw him with Ramo Stott and the rest of the IMCA guys at the South Dakota State Fair in the mid 60's. As a young boy going to the Oahe speedway in Pierre on Sunday nights this was big time racing to me.
darnall (Offline)
  #3 1/9/14 1:14 PM
I live in a very very small town in SW MO... back in the 60s and 70s there wasn't a racetrack within 60 miles... but I can honestly say that Ernie Derr is a legend among every living local man between age 50 and 70 that ever went to a race. Everytime somebody comes in my office and starts talking about racing Ernie Derrs name ALWAYS comes up.... I never got to see him race but he sure musta been something behind the wheel of those big old cars.... RIP Mr Derr.
ronmil (Offline)
  #4 1/9/14 2:52 PM
I believe Ernie Derr and Don White were related by marriage. I think Don married Ernie's sister, or vice versa.
RIP, Ernie!

Ron Miller
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #5 1/9/14 8:13 PM
RIP Ernie, you were one heck of a race car driver.