IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Midget
7/12/12, 4:23 PM   #1
Lightning Midget
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

With so much confusion in the racing world specially here in Florida between Lightning Sprint, Mini Sprints and Micro Sprints we SSLS are considering making a name change as to what our series is about...NON WING MIDGET STYLE RACING....We already allow the use of quick changes and larger engines so we are considering Southern States Midget Series....90% of the chassis we race is from midget parts so we are thinking of incorporating the name as to what the car is and the fact that we do not run wings...there are several other series in the US like the sportsman midgets/Kenyon Midgets/Ecotech Midgets/Focus Midgets that are all legal to run with our series...Price wise they are about the same for a used midget as a used lightning and sometime less expense when you buy new...Hell a new Spike is only $14,900.00 where as new Mini/lightning/micro cars are 13,000.00-17,000.00...this is new without engine...used anywhere from 5-10 thousand race ready with spares for a Midget/Mini/lightning or Micro...So it just seems to make sense....

DAD tell what YOU think...LOL

Check out this page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-...age_fan_invite

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

4 members like this post: DAD, Mike M 67, minisprinter, PatrickMead#13
7/13/12, 9:18 AM   #2
Re: Lightning Midget
DAD

Like I said it's a "NO BRAINER", If it walks like a Duck, Quacks like a Duck, has a Duck chassis it probably is a Duck of some sorts. What the heck is a "LIGHTNING" Midget. A 3/4 midget is three forth of real midget a Half midget is one half of a real midget a Quarter midget is one forth of a real midget, a Kenyon midget is a midget chassis powered by a yamaha motorcycle engine, a 1200cc winged mini-sprint is a midget chassis powered by a motorcycle engine that has a wing on top and really wants to be a sprint car (Napoleon Dynomite Complex).

If a race car uses a midget frame, can have either chain drive or shaft drive, and is powered by a 1000cc almost stock motorcycle engine, can race with or without a wing. Is that a "Lightning midget" now. Let's get real!!

I would rather be honest and just call it a 1000cc Midget, plain and simple. Problem is for the last 20 years or so I have been calling it a mini-sprint and old habits are hard to break, and to be truthful I still am a little partial to that name.

Do you guys have any shaft drives down south, us Yanks still only have chain drives racing. If so how are they doing.

Just saw where some Kenyon cars might be going to US 24 speedway to race with the 1200cc bunch.

I think Bill May, and I know I would like to see some of them come to Brownstown for some of our non wing shows.

Right now we are trying to get a hold of Billy Bobs "PO" to get their address and phone #. We could really use anybody with a little extra jack to buy a small add on the side of our 1000cc Midget. If they don't pan out we might try good ol' JT, I see he may have some spare change laying around. ( An old TV add salesman once told me many years ago that advertising begets people wanting to sell advertising.)

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
7/13/12, 10:16 AM   #3
Wayne Davis

You gotta love "Honest Dad" Hey Dad, was you Dad "Honest Charlie" that owned Honest Charlies Speed Shop in Chattanooga Tenn.?....and Dad my deal here in Florida is so different

1 member likes this post: DAD
7/13/12, 11:47 AM   #4
backitin

We could all use someone with a little extra jack laying around to buy space on our mini sprint, opps I mean lightning sprint, opps I mean lightning midget, or is that 1000 cc midget ? Sometimes theres more confusion then need be. 600 laydown on 10 inch wheels is a micro, 1000-1200 uprite on 13 inch wheels is a minisprint and car engine powered uprites a midget. Once you guys figure it out pm me so I know what exactly I have.
Last edited by backitin; 7/13/12 at 11:52 AM.

2 members like this post: DAD, zeromotorsports
7/13/12, 11:59 AM   #5
DAD

You been looking over them old Car Craft magazines haven't you. He was my hero. Somebody is still using his name "HONEST" Google it. He was the first guy to see money in mail order hot rod parts and carried a big stick when it came to getting the deal from the mfg.'s. Jeg's and Summit are Johny come lately compared to him.

Wondered how long and who would catch it
My business name is "Dad's Muffler Shop" my slogan is "No Muff Too Tuff" stolen from ol' Jim Hurtubise's muffler shop in Speedway In. He bought it back from Florida a long long time ago.

Honest Dad himself

ps My hair is a lot prettier than his was. Best I can remember, he was, a "ridge runner".

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by backitin View Post
We could all use someone with a little extra jack laying around to buy space on our mini sprint, opps I mean lightning sprint, opps I mean lightning midget, or is that 1000 cc midget ? Sometimes theres more confusion then need be. 600 laydown on 10 inch wheels is a micro, 1000-1200 uprite on 13 inch wheels is a minisprint and car engine powered uprites a midget. Once you guys figure it out pm me so I know what exactly I have.
If we agreed there would be no need for "IOW"

Honest Dad himself

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Outlaw View Post
You gotta love "Honest Dad" Hey Dad, was you Dad "Honest Charlie" that owned Honest Charlies Speed Shop in Chattanooga Tenn.?....and Dad my deal here in Florida is so different

NOW back to them shaft drives, You'll go any of them down there yet?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/13/12 at 12:14 PM.

7/13/12, 12:49 PM   #6
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
You been looking over them old Car Craft magazines haven't you. He was my hero. Somebody is still using his name "HONEST" Google it. He was the first guy to see money in mail order hot rod parts and carried a big stick when it came to getting the deal from the mfg.'s. Jeg's and Summit are Johny come lately compared to him.
I hear ya Dad...I worked for him in the '70... had a branch store here in Jacksonville till '81....man I hated that place to go out....

Oh and I'm not saying Lightning Midget...I would do Southern States Midget Series being I'm and infant at this stage...so DAM MUCH confusion down here and I need to be separated from that confusion as far as a name and Like you Dad I feel weather it is a chain drive, driveshaft, quickchange or whatever this cars are from a midget chassis of midget design...but ever now we have USAC midgets and PowerI midgets then the lesser powered EcoTech/Focus/Kenyon/Sportsman midgets and the later is what I am shooting for because of the expense...I have got to grow my series down here and have several guys setting on the fence (sprint car guy's) so I really probably going to go that route...Thanks dad for the input

1 member likes this post: DAD
7/13/12, 1:23 PM   #7
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Outlaw View Post
I hear ya Dad...I worked for him in the '70... had a branch store here in Jacksonville till '81....man I hated that place to go out....

Oh and I'm not saying Lightning Midget...I would do Southern States Midget Series being I'm and infant at this stage...so DAM MUCH confusion down here and I need to be separated from that confusion as far as a name and Like you Dad I feel weather it is a chain drive, driveshaft, quickchange or whatever this cars are from a midget chassis of midget design...but ever now we have USAC midgets and PowerI midgets then the lesser powered EcoTech/Focus/Kenyon/Sportsman midgets and the later is what I am shooting for because of the expense...I have got to grow my series down here and have several guys setting on the fence (sprint car guy's) so I really probably going to go that route...Thanks dad for the input
They can all race together if you are a good fair minded promoter. Keep your weight rule open. If you see one type of car is a bit too fast tack on 25 lbs then another 25 lbs if that don't do it. If your family wants to race find them another class or keep them in the mid pack position.

You can not have any friends in your job. The best promoters are liked by everyone that races with them and or hated by everyone they can not be half and half. They show no favoritism to anyone, nor do they ever give anyone reason to think that they do. Keep on keepin on, tread water and keep your head above water for right now.

As soon as you get your condo's and garages track side built we might come down there for the winter, new thing "Snow Bird Racers" that is where the money will be at.

Honest Dad himself

2 members like this post: Wayne Davis, Xflagman
7/13/12, 4:57 PM   #8
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
As soon as you get your condo's and garages track side built we might come down there for the winter, new thing "Snow Bird Racers" that is where the money will be at.

Honest Dad himself
Since you did throw that out there we will be racing all 4 weekends in Jan. 2 weekends in Feb. and season will restart March 10 2013...always good to speak to ya and you are welcomed anytime down here

7/13/12, 5:44 PM   #9
backitin

Were goin thru 6 1/2 years of terrible luck, but working hard to turn it around. I cant wait to get back racing a little, a couple weekends in Indiana and a couple in Florida would be perfect.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Midget