IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crashed/fix/ Dq'd
4/20/10, 1:11 AM   #1
Crashed/fix/ Dq'd
Bad Dad 54

Saw a group of racers work their butts off to fix a crashed car Sun at Kokomo but a USAC official Dq'd them. Why? Because they had their tail tank held in place with a 1000 to 1500lb tie down. You crash a Non Wing Sprint with this setup and that tank comes out it would terrible. I had a racer who did that but used 2 - 10,000 pound straps and I've 2nd guessed myself ever since. He only made a few laps in the feature and pulled off but still what if??? Read ab article years ago that stated a human arm in a violent crash (NW Sprint) can put about 1500lb of force on your arm restraints. This figures in the weight of your arm the length it travels and the speed. I believe it was Deist Safety Equip. So imagine what a fuel tank could do. Also gang if your Arm restraints are pinched together get diffrent ones asap.

4/20/10, 4:33 PM   #2
Re: Crashed/fix/ Dq'd
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
Saw a group of racers work their butts off to fix a crashed car Sun at Kokomo but a USAC official Dq'd them. Why? Because they had their tail tank held in place with a 1000 to 1500lb tie down. You crash a Non Wing Sprint with this setup and that tank comes out it would terrible. I had a racer who did that but used 2 - 10,000 pound straps and I've 2nd guessed myself ever since. He only made a few laps in the feature and pulled off but still what if??? Read ab article years ago that stated a human arm in a violent crash (NW Sprint) can put about 1500lb of force on your arm restraints. This figures in the weight of your arm the length it travels and the speed. I believe it was Deist Safety Equip. So imagine what a fuel tank could do. Also gang if your Arm restraints are pinched together get diffrent ones asap.
Was determined fuel purchased elsewhere,by others as well was bad, only 100% team checked!!...due to his fast time in quals.!!.........

4/20/10, 4:51 PM   #3
dant

USAC officials have a pretty good record of protecting spectators and drivers from bad decisions/unsafe cars...seems like the right call here...thank USAC for making a dangerous sport a little safer

4/20/10, 11:40 PM   #4
Bad Dad 54

Sorry if you miss understood I was not dissagreeing with the call. That 1 strap definitely wouldn't hold even in a simple crash. I was stating what I did and have been second guessing my self ever since. And what an effort that team did trying to get the car ready. USAC has done a good job but from what I saw these past few weeks they need to do better. Didn't see anything being checked while I was there and I got there just after the gates opened at Gas City. USAC Officials were al standing around with their hands in their pockets. My name is Randal Cronk and in the past was an official and Mike Devin was a great help to me. If I had a question he helped me and I am grateful. After I quit Rick Ferkel asked me if I was looking for a job and I said no. Then I found out he was heading up the Gumout series. Also the late Art Braithwaite was a good ear to talk to. I sat in Marshall Campbells shop while he was assembling an engine. He told me I was one of the better officials he'd seen. I can look up the date if you want, he was building an engine for Darren Long for the tournament race at Lima.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crashed/fix/ Dq'd