IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
greenupracing20 (Offline)
  #1 2/1/10 1:34 PM
Is there any way to de-anodize aluminum wheels.We would like to return them to a polished finish
Thanks for the help
6565 (Offline)
  #2 2/1/10 2:26 PM
I've always been told to use oven cleaner (like Easy-Off). Haven't tried it myself, though.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #3 2/1/10 2:38 PM
That's a good question, most of what I've dealt with, is a hard coating, which could be very difficult to remove, are you sure they aren't just clear coated? That might be removable in a reasonable manner, but if it is clearcoat, it'll buff off, as you polish. JMHO. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
dant (Offline)
  #4 2/1/10 7:08 PM
16 grit grinding disc.....6000 rpm grinder ..hold on tight
TQ29m (Offline)
  #5 2/1/10 7:14 PM
I think he wanted to reuse them, but that may be the answer, if they truly are anodized. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
  #6 2/1/10 7:46 PM
Its anodizing for sure. I have been using 2 inch 3m red scuff pads on a small die grinder. The season will be over before Im done at this rate. I tried paint gun cleaner, air craft striper and nothing. Ill give the oven
cleaner a shot and see what happens.
Thanks for the ideas
Revolution Racing (Offline)
  #7 2/1/10 8:20 PM
Any place that does anodizing or plating can strip your parts for you. From there you can polish them out easily. You might want to consider polishing and then getting a light clear anodize (about five-tenths). Unless you really, really like polishing....

Keith
Racer12 (Offline)
  #8 2/2/10 2:03 AM
Contact Industrial Anodizing on W. Washington St. in Indianapolis.

1610 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis 317- 637-4641

Bob Shutt
  #9 2/3/10 9:50 PM
Thanks for all the info. The oven cleaner worked. Thats some nasty stuff.