IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Speedway Streaming Live From California
8/3/16, 10:18 PM   #1
Speedway Streaming Live From California
Scott Daloisio

Speedway Motorcycle Racing streaming live now (7:15 PM PDT Wednesday) from Industry, California at the link below.

http://livestream.com/expocenter/events/5885979

3 members like this post: jjones752, mc/rider, racefan20
8/4/16, 12:37 AM   #2
Re: Speedway Streaming Live From California
safetyjoe

Go away.

8/4/16, 8:30 AM   #3
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyjoe View Post
Go away.
would you like Scott to go away or the speedway ?
either way your a fool. Speedway is the purist form of all motorsports knucklehead. Theres more action and trama in a 60 second speedway race then most all other races that take hours to run.
I'd also bet that you don't have the guts to do it.
have a nice day.

2 members like this post: jjones752, mc/rider
8/4/16, 10:47 AM   #4
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

There is a solid connection between Speedway (and AMA Flat Track) and Midget & Sprint Car racing; hopefully the names Eddie Wirth, Sonny Nutter, Stu Morley, Ron Kruseman or Sumner McKnight ring bells...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

8/4/16, 11:16 AM   #5
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I'm a big fan of Speedway! It's great racing!

8/4/16, 11:48 AM   #6
Backitin

If you think about it Speedway in particular is the two wheel match to a nonwing sprint or midget car.
They are both the most basic in form and a good rider/driver can makeup for a not so top notch ride in all three forms of the above mentioned racing.
Anybody that complains they cant afford to race can have a complete speedway gig going capable of winning D-3/D-2 races for about $ 3500.00. leathers, steel shoe and all. I will also say that I've won races in 5 different types of motorsports, my first speedway win when I got to ride around the track with the checkered flag is by far my best racing memory.
A little track, D-3, nobody cares but your family. Its the best there is.
Anyhow, thanks for posting the links scott.

8/4/16, 1:03 PM   #7
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
If you think about it Speedway in particular is the two wheel match to a nonwing sprint or midget car.
They are both the most basic in form and a good rider/driver can makeup for a not so top notch ride in all three forms of the above mentioned racing.
Anybody that complains they cant afford to race can have a complete speedway gig going capable of winning D-3/D-2 races for about $ 3500.00. leathers, steel shoe and all. I will also say that I've won races in 5 different types of motorsports, my first speedway win when I got to ride around the track with the checkered flag is by far my best racing memory.
A little track, D-3, nobody cares but your family. Its the best there is.
Anyhow, thanks for posting the links scott.
Your IOW handle is a perfect example; that term pretty much only applies to the 3 disciplines mentioned.
Back in the '70's when they ran Speedway at Ventura on Tuesday nights, Division 2 and 3 was some of the most entertaining racing on the card; nothing like watching 4 D-3 newbies come up to the gate and when it went up, 3 of them would crash in turn one and the 4th would be hung in the tapes....
Of course, some of them would get better, and progress from D-3 to D-2, then start scratch in a D-1 handicap heat and within a couple of months start from the 40 and still win by a straightaway, and you start remembering their names, like a Danny Becker or a Bruce Penhall.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

8/4/16, 5:17 PM   #8
sp33dy

What's not to like?

A bike not much heavier than a bicycle
500cc single burning alky
no brakes
4 bikes, 4 laps
bring the next 4 up, repeat

If you roll off the throttle in the turn, you won't make it through it. We had a series in our area for a couple of years and it was a blast! Unfortunately, it didn't draw well and we lost it.

8/4/16, 6:49 PM   #9
Backitin

The problem with speedway popularity is that its hard to draw riders. I raced mx for years and all my buddies thought I was crazy for riding speedway. If you arnt familiar with the bikes the first time you sit on one your like screw this. The bike weights 160 lbs and is almost touching the ground, if you hold the bars in one hand and the rear push bar in the other you can easily flex the frame back and forth a couple inches. As for lack of brakes, never had the need for them all my laps. If something happens in front of you lay the bike over in a controlled laydown "crash" you stop almost instantly and after you do it a few times it's no big deal and nothing gets damaged except your leathers some. At first you crash quite a bit, a lot of times not your fault. Once you figure it out it's like magic.
If you have speedway near you I encourage you to check it out and bum a bike for a couple laps, you'll either love it or hate it. Yes I said bum a bike for a couple laps. Speedway riders are some of the hardest people I know, they are also the most generous and dedicated people I know. More times then not somebody at the speedway track will see your interest if your around for awhile and offer you a try. Not only generous but we like to see hold my beer and watch this moments, lol.
I'm a bit bias when it comes to speedway, its my first love and my son just happens to be one of the most natural talents on a bike most anybody out in these parts have seen. The shot of my avatar is him after only about 15 minutes of seat time ever.
That smoke dude you guys always talk about, I know for a fact he wanted to ride one pretty bad a few years back, he came to a race of ours in N. Carolina and was quite excited bout it.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Speedway Streaming Live From California