View Single Post
Grocery Guy (Offline)
  #10 4/17/24 6:58 PM
I'm gonna add another spin on this Indiana track wars topic. In addition to tracks fighting for car counts, how about tracks fighting for FAN ATTENDANCE! Not just die-hard race fans, but casual fans and first-time attendee fans. I've seen multiple times comments made about "bring a fan or new fans" to a track. What experience are new fans going to get? Racetracks are notorious for starting late. I get it, you can't control a dirt surface. Thankfully, pavement tracks seem to always start on time. Here's what new fans can look at:

What time will a track start? Does it start on time? How much effort goes into track prep through the week? How bright are the track lights? How do the speakers sound at a track? Can you hear the announcer? Does the track have a scoreboard? Is a track taking an excessive intermission? Are concessions priced fairly and taste good? WHAT TIME are tracks getting done with feature events?

Here's a small list of options for discretionary spending money activities in the Indianapolis area:

Deer Creek concerts, White River state park concerts, Brown County music center concerts, Symphony on the Prairie concerts, Indy 500 events, Indiana Fever basketball, Indianapolis Indians baseball, Indy Eleven professional soccer, US Olympic swimming trials, Indy weekend Festivals, little league baseball and the list goes on and on. Lots of KIDS opportunities listed. Nearly every one of these events listed starts on time, has a scoreboard, a great announcer and provides a fantastic fan experience. how about our racetracks?

I've been going to races since the late 60's. I've got lots of places to spend my fun money, plus keep my wife happy. I've taken friends to tracks that got rubbered up, ran features up till 11pm, and had to explain why we are getting done so late. That's no fun for a new fan.

Good luck to the Indiana tracks trying to recruit new fans AND teams! And sponsor money to make improvements! Time will tell which teams support which tracks, same with the fans. 40 years in the retail world taught me every customer dollar and market share was IMPORTANT. Same can be said about racetrack admissions and the back gate $$$.
18 Likes: captrat, dkdorkboy, EBookerFan, Fat RR, fourteen fan, Hubie48, Igo-Ono, Indy1808, Jonr, motorhead748, oldfan49, oppweld, ROSCO, spicoli, Steve Wendel, Stevensville Mike, stp6237, TNRustler