View Single Post
Dwight Clock (Offline)
  #24 8/8/08 5:48 AM
When this race was announced months ago many of us who had attended a sprint car show at Union County in Sep. of '04 expressed our concerns. We were quickly assured that the problems had been addressed and were no longer there. One of those problems was rebar sticking out of the concrete walls. Another was the total lack of track prep. Now, months after we were told those problems, among others, had been fixed we find that nothing has changed. A simple hacksaw and a little time could have made the rebar problem go away. The track owner should not have let his track operate in such a condition. The insurance co. that covers the track should have made them correct these problems. Tony Barhorst should have insisted they be changed as part of his contract to hold a race there. And USAC should have inspected the facility before booking a race there. It should have never, I repeat NEVER have come down to race day. Other organizations check out new tracks. When I worked with URC our race director Mickey McGeough and myself did that with all new tracks and tracks we hadn't visited in a while. And to think that Kamp was chucked off the schedule makes it even worse. I am usually in total support of USAC but they blew it here. It is honorable to decide not to race on an unsafe track but it should have been known to them well before race day.