Thread: 500 First Timer
View Single Post
4/4/22, 5:45 PM   #23
Re: 500 First Timer
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
The 500 Festival Parade begins at 11:45 AM local time (you need to be in the spot where you'll view the parade by at least 11:00 AM, earlier the better). We've attended the parade a couple of times before the pandemic and if memory serves me the duration is something approaching 2 hours. That would have you heading to Anderson for the Little 5 by approximately 1:45 PM. Keep in mind that the traffic can be rather congested after the parade. Without traffic incumbrances drivetime from downtown Indianapolis to Anderson Speedway is approximately 1.25 hours. If you hustle you should be able to get to the Little 500 with some time to spare.

Be advised that the parade draws about 300,000 people so traffic will be your biggest hindrance to doing both events. Quickly getting on the road with good route planning and you should be good to go in regards to doing both events.

Have fun!!
I am a sucker for a parade and the Indy 500 parade did not disappoint. I remember doing some research on where to park so that was not to big of an issue. However, getting back to the hotel was an adventure. It was 8-9 years ago that I went and I had an older Garmin navigation unit. Every road that it wanted to take me down to get to the hotel was closed due to the parade. By the time I could find a route to my hotel, I was in a unique part time. I was able to watch the parade and take a tour of Indy's finest crack houses all in the same day.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk