View Single Post
Ken Bonnema (Offline)
  #36 8/5/14 4:00 AM
Dad, You were talkin' about a fly in the ointment and I got one for ya. Shocks. My last Midget was an Edmunds Autoresarch Pavement Car with a Stanton Mopar. Had no buisness buyin' it but stupid is as stupid does. Anyhoo, it came with Penske Shocks and before the '05 season I took it down to Orange Show to shake it down. Wally Pankratz, Along with Jeff Wahl who now builds the Edmunds cars were there to give me a hand. Wally and I both took turns shakin' it down and then I pulled in and we replaced the Penskes with a new set of ARS shocks. Changing nothing else on the car, we went back out and picked up 4/10 /sec.Wally had it well under the track record at that point and even I got it into the low 13's. This was on a very green track with used Hoosiers. My point is that I did nothing more than to spend $2200.00 on some aluminum and valves to pick this up and remember, we were replacing Penskes which is a pretty darn good shock in its own right. Motorsports can really summed up with the following quote from the late,great Jim Shiels who before his untimely passing chartsd the history of Stockton 99 Speedway in Ca. It is as follows:

"If my fifty year Stockton research has shown me anything, it's the fact that every new division born to racing comes complete with 'cancer', and the day it's born is the same day it starts to die. Each new division is cheap to run, easy to maintain, provides lots of cars, crash and bang action, and attracts new fans, and then somebody says "let me improve that", "Let me upgrade this", " Let me add this", and very soon the cost factors are out of control and the division dies a sad death."

All of us who have been around this sport have seen this happen time and time again............
4 Likes: DAD, DaveP63, DOK, jjones752