View Single Post
richie (Offline)
  #13 2/17/24 6:47 PM
Originally Posted by SoINRaceFan:
On Friday night at Ocala, when the tires started to go down in the A main, how exactly did Grant get to come back out on the track during the next caution? It appeared that there was a lap scored and when he did come back for the next 3 laps he was scored a lap down.

Then, when Westfall's tire went down in between 3 & 4, they let the race finish, even though Westfall was definitely off the pace from the rest of the field.

It just seems like the rules don't play out the same for everyone. I was at the track and I never heard any explanation over the public address system. I didn't know if it was explained on Flo or if anyone here can lend me some wisdom.
Grant stopped on the track to bring out the yellow when he had a flat tire. Westfall pulled off the track when he had his flat tire. Therein lies the difference.

Under USAC rules, during a yellow flag, cars are allowed to rejoin the race if they were in the pits.

Grant had his flat tire with five laps to go. However, there is no guaranteed time given for the Work Area during the last five laps of a feature, so he didn’t make it back out in time for the green.

When the race went back to green, one lap was completed before Daison Pursley had a flat tire which brought out the yellow. During the yellow, Grant rejoined the race at the tail of the field with a new right rear and finished the race one lap behind the leader.
9 Likes: DirtTrackTherapy16J, Hubie48, Ilovedirttrackracing, mc/rider, openwheelfan1, oppweld, PIT CART, Sandy Lowe, TQ29m