View Single Post
8/1/14, 8:19 AM   #4
Re: Montpelier Speedway Midget Series Returns Sat. August 2
DAD

Harold

I have watched your series since the first organizational meeting held in Indy several years ago. We even got the chance to race our first and last Midget race in your first event. We have also raced several time with the MMSA when they traveled up there to race. You might call us Midget racers wana-be's.

Let me throw out a what if now.

I have gone over your rules a dozen times or so looking for that "Smokey" well you didn't say we couldn't rule about engine design.>>> The cost of a 10year old purpose built midget motor let alone the upkeep of one of these motors is out of our price range. Last year I was beginning to thinking that Mini Sprint motors were also getting out of price range.

The National Groups have gone out of their way to design a rule package to keep the purpose built Midget $25,000.00 + Motor in place by designing their rules to OutLaw the Modern Stock engine Displacement motors with 4 valve heads from competing in their race cars. Auto makers have not used 2000cc 4 valve head motors in Modern performance cars. They have however designed several V6 motors in the 3000cc-3500cc displacement range that are capable of developing some serious Horsepower with very little work and still keep the stock head and block.

I have located one of these motors in a local Junk Yard for $400.00. It has 200,000 + miles on the odometer. I could buy this motor install aftermarket rods and pistons new lighter valves and springs, and with the addition of a good fuel injection system and maybe dry sump oiling, could build a 400 Horsepower Motor that would fit right in a Midget Chassis. The cost with some help on the Motor work would be much less than the cost of a Honda Spec engine.

The head design on these motors is much better than the Echo tec or Focus, being much closer in design to the late model motor cycle engine in design, the crankshaft and crank case were designed for 200,000+ miles. Because of the engines design freshen up might stretch out to several years or more.

There is no way that USAC or for that matter Poweri would allow such a motor to race with them because of alliances with the major engine builders and manufacture's.

My question to you would be.. If a guy was to show up with such a motor would it be considered legal and would you allow it to race in your group?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/1/14 at 9:52 AM.