View Single Post
8/21/21, 4:00 PM   #48
openwheelfan1

We typically attend about 10-12 WoO races/year, and about 12-15 non-wing (typically USAC, but some MSCS) races/year. We typically see the occasional poor race from both WoO and USAC/MSCS in any given year. I do believe that in the last 5 years, the quality of both the WoO and USAC fields have gotten deeper and the quality throughout has improved.

I had the privilege of speaking with Rico Abreu a few years ago, and he expressed that IN HIS OPINION, midget drivers performed well in winged sprint cars because in midgets it is critical to keep momentum up and the same is true for winged sprint cars. If true, that may explain why guys like Rico, Larson, Zeb Wise, Spencer Bayston, and some others have had a successful transition from midgets to winged sprint cars.

While there has certainly been an improvement in the amount of money that is available for a non-winged sprint for 2021, it still pales in comparison to what is available for the winged sprint cars. Yes, winged cars have higher expenses, particularly in engine rebuilds, but it certainly appears that there is more than 2 times the money to be earned in purses. The payout at Circle City vs. Lawrenceburg is a prime example. Yes, I understand that Circle City is trying to build participation and a fan base, but 10 for a weekly show at Lawrenceburg pays $280 vs. $555 at Circle City. A racer isn’t going to get rich at Circle City, but he at least pays for his pit fees, fuel and a RR tire.

Before everyone says I’m a winged fan, I’ll tell you that is not true. I am a SPRINT CAR fan. I enjoy winged cars at most venues, and non winged cars at most tracks too. I started this thread because I found the comments by Matt Wood and Tim Clausen to be both eye opening and a little disturbing. IF Tim Clausen’s statement about numerous owners and sponsors salivating to get involved is true, I don’t think the same can be said about non-winged sprint cars even in anyone’s wildest fantasies.

2 members like this post: Grocery Guy, Jonr