View Single Post
9/6/11, 11:23 PM   #31
Re: More Midget Races Cancelled
DonMoore10

I've read some very interesting posts on here so far. Please keep in mind that the LaSalle race was a National midget race which, being a reasonable distance of Indiana (plenty of midgets there), St. Louis (plenty of Powri midgets there), and Badgerland (15-20 active cars there ) should have drawn more than 16 cars. It's safe to say that 13 of the cars were well funded teams that participate in most of the national races. So about 3 extras showed up. So the question here is: Why didn't more than about 3 extras show up? There are reasons. On the other hand, why are the mini sprints so popular? Plenty of those cars around and they are a relatively new sport in popularity. Well, the number one reason I have heard over the past few years is COST. And doesn't it make it more inviting if you have a chance to win or at least make enough money to cover the night's expenses?

Here are some suggestions that may get a few more people to get cars out on the track. Keep in mind that there are some sacrifices that will have to be made and that "the way it's always been done" needs to go by the wayside if we want to go in a positive direction.

CHANGE THE PURSE STRUCTURE: I went to the POWRi web site and downloaded the current purse structure and modified it. The total purse currently is $8355. I bumped that up a little to $8400 for my figures.

1. 1100 2. 800 3. 525 4. 450 5. 400 6. 325 7-21. 300

TIRES. Eliminate all tire deals. If there is an American Racer tire (as explained on here by another person) that will last most of the season and still be capable of winning races, adopt that tire as mandatory. Policing this would involve a little tweeking but this is a must. And any other rule that will neutralize the engine power. Reducing the width and size of the rear tires is a possiblity also.

ENGINES. Two years ago we heard of using a $10,000-12,000 engine for USAC national races. I'm sure that this will not go over big with the well funded teams and some drivers but these cheap engines need to be mandated ASAP. Allow the 1000 mini to compete.

WEIGHT RULE. Develop a weight rule that will neutralize driver weight.

VW's. Give these cars with VW's some advantages to get them out on the track again an to be competitive.

SELF STARTERS. There probably is not a promoter in the US that would not welcome this rule. I know many of you will disagree with this but it really needs to happen.

FEATURE STARTING POSITION. Take a close look at the ARDC rules regarding starting positions in the feature. For example, if you won the previous race, your starting position would be no better than say 14th position. This would certainly make it more interesting for the fans and would give a host of drivers a chance to win. It must be working in ARDC, they have tons of cars that show up for every race and they have plenty of different winners. A chance to win for a team that may not always start up front. So, if you finished in the top 5 this week, next week you're going to the middle or near the back for the next race.

WHAT DO WE DO WITH CURRENT ENGINES. ( BTW, I have four of them ) That would be easy. Keep running them but mandating a ton of weight to carry around the track is a possibility. Just one of many possibilities.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 9/6/11 at 11:42 PM.

5 members like this post: DAD, jdull99, jim goerge, R.Drang, team3521