View Single Post
7/1/22, 3:58 PM   #20
Re: Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili B
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
The main topic of the article is about the $10,000 winner's share, but the real story should be the rest of the field. Once you get past the podium finishers, the purse does not even cover what you spend for the entry fee and pit passes for the week. I do see the other side of things, however, and as a business minded person, why would you increase the purse when you have hundreds of competitors showing up with what is paid out now? No one that races at the Chili bowl does it with slightest thought of what they might get at the payout window. Even if they made the winner's purse $25,000, I can't imagine where there would be any more paid out below that. Until the car count goes down, there won't be any changes made. No one makes money at the Chili Bowl besides the ones running it and that won't change any time soon.
I agree with everything you said here except "No one makes money at the Chili Bowl besides the ones running it..." I think t-shirt/paraphernalia sales for ALL of the top name competitors are through the roof. You think Rico is counting on winning that $10k, or selling mullet wigs and t-shirts? Not to mention the exposure a driver gets by doing well. Rides are won and lost based on how far through the alphabet a driver can charge. Even with the Shootout. Jason McDougal was unknown outside of Tulsa until he stormed through the Shootout and won three classes. For some of these guys and gals, it's an investment in themselves to create exposure.

And at the end of the day, it's capitalism. Supply and demand. Only when you see a significant drop off in top name competitors or a significant drop in Saturday pit pass sales will you see any changes in format or purse. It works. They're not messing with a good thing.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cornerthree, TBONE