Thread: Slider gone bad
View Single Post
4/13/21, 1:33 PM   #30
Re: Slider gone bad
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
TMez original interview was Slide or die, sorry bout his luck. But did later apologize on Social Media after being told by the slidey he had no class. BTW I think the 84 driver just became USAC legal at 15.5 years. So a fight was not in order.

Kinda what the momentum classes have become. People eat it up a them two 600/speedster tracks in the east. One runs before a full house ever weds and it's four or five guys throwing sliders every corner of every lap.

This has happened since the slider became the proffered way to pass. I remember late 80s early 90s CRA at Eldora and Hewitt did the same thing to McSpadden and put him hung up in the fence. Of course Jack said he screwed up. But it was basically the same thing, Hauling it in there and hope it sticks..
Charles,
As I type this I'm looking at the sequence photos of the Hewitt and McSpadden crash at Eldora on my wall,definitely a nasty crash.

Here's a little story about the aftermath of the crash,
When Jack came to our pit after the crash to apologize he says to me and my father " I can't believe you guys aren't kicking my ass right now" to which I replied that I'd seen him fight before and didn't want to go that route. He says back "i'm knocked pretty silly right now you probably could get the best of me" And I told him that an injured animal is always at their most dangerous, to which we all laughed.

The year that happened was 1991,Jack drove a second car for us many times after that incident and became a good friend of mine and my fathers.