View Single Post
2/3/23, 9:54 AM   #88
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMooney View Post
I remembered a few other places I’ve seen sprint cars at that haven’t been mentioned yet:

Saint Charles Motor Speedway, St Charles MO: One of the last shows held here was a winged sprint car race I attended in October ’99. It was won by Jerrod Hull. St Charles was a neat place. High-banked, circular, quarter-mile bullring. Big, tall wooden walls around the outside. A wood fence ringed the infield too. Some have told me that St Charles was the one track left in the world that was most like Shaheen’s Little Springfield. It wasn’t exactly the safest, or prettiest, track but watching sprint cars there was an experience.

East Moline Speedway, East Moline IL: Saw Terry McCarl win a winged show there on Easter Weekend of ’95. The field on hand that night was an interesting mix of Knoxville and Jacksonville regulars. This was another really neat bullring that was exciting to see sprint cars race on. High-banked quarter-mile. Fairgrounds track with covered grandstands. And that roof over the stands really amplified the sound. I remember it being loud. I know they’ve run some midget races there in recent years but I don’t think they’ve had many, if any, sprint car shows there since that one I saw 28 years ago.

Shepp’s Speedway, Alexander IL: Located next to I-72 on old route 36 between Springfield and Jacksonville. The Sheppard family of dirt late model fame built and owned it. They called it a quarter mile but I’d say the track was “ only a smidge bigger than Macon”. Narrow. Tough to pass. Only ran a few years. Saw Hud Cone win an Illinois Sprintweek show there in ’09. The track was built uncomfortably close to a rail line. When a train came past you'd swear it was going to clip the backstretch bleachers. The property is now a junkyard.

Delta Bowl, Tunica MS: This place didn’t last long but it was around long enough to host a WoO show in ‘03. High-banked 1/3 mile. Black gumbo. The racing was ok. I remember Greg Hodnett won. I think he was driving for Guy Forbrook at the time. The only other thing I remember is standing in the infield and watching Daron Clayton flipping out of the ballpark. Still the only track I’ve been to in Mississippi.
The last St Charles show was fun stuff. Jarrod won as you said and I believe Jim Moughan ran second and I was third. Track was a fun high-banked bullring that you never had to lift off the throttle for all 30 laps. Went there a bunch in the early 80s working with Schrader on a sprint car team.

I've actually raced at all the tracks you listed here.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, JJMooney, luckybuc97, racenut69, tirespinner