View Single Post
2/2/23, 8:26 PM   #82
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Rick View Post
I do recall this happening but much later than this USAC/CRA race. Back in the 80's the big names from out west came in to run with USAC for about two weeks. Eldora, Terre Haute, can't remember others but one year Whitewater Valley was on the trip. Wish I could remember more specifics but a good field of cars I do remember.
I was there, But it was a CRA tour not USAC. Frankie Kerr won after giving Leland Mcspadden a RR coming off of turn four. Which ended Lelands tour as they'd junked about four chassis. Maybe CRA91 can elaborate. a

Was also there for the USAC cancellation. Seen many races (When they ran) late eighties. For me it was Whitewater Fri Night for Sprints, Florence for LM's and Bombers on Saturday (Worked on Bombers) and Sunday Lawrenceburg was racing LM's as Jerry King took over Mel's lease and ran Sat Sprint shows and Fenders on sunday. Whitewater late 80's and early 90s had a reputation of scheduling but not running, You'd show up and either the track was open and cars were there, or they weren't. Pretty frustrating when they'd cancel. But dinner at J's was always good in Liberty.a

Robbie Stanley used to just jump up in the cushion on that track and ran it till it came in, He'd often drop several spots early to later pass two cars a lap. Usually winning.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/2/23 at 8:29 PM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, mlamb, Rapid Rick