View Single Post
11/27/22, 9:19 PM   #49
Re: No return visit to Huset's for USAC
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
I always thought what hurt the Gold Crown was the weather. From memory the first few years were good,then after that it seemed like it either rained or was going to rain etc etc.

We always had fun at the Gold Crown. Being the first weekend of the month,also meant it was taco weekend at Don's No Mans Land Tavern in Wood River/East Alton. One of the last years I went,we took orders and ordered around 75 tacos,and Morty went and got them.
You are definitely correct on the weather being an issue with the Gold Crown. I know that the first one that I wanted to attend was completely rained out. I was so excited for the race that I bought tickets ahead of time and received them in the mail. When they rained out, they asked if I wanted to use them for next year's race, and I said yes. Every night that I showed up with a year-old race ticket was a call on the radio to the front office.

However, the other problem was that POWRi got upset with USAC having success in their back yard and started to cross promote against it. There for a while I was really pissed at POWRi and stopped going to their shows because of them helping kill off the Gold Crown.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, Dale, luckybuc97