View Single Post
8/27/13, 7:20 AM   #39
Re: Morty.... Rest in peace...
slick38.5

I am not sure what year it was the first time I met Morty. I do know I was introduced to Morty by Brent Funk, most probably at Terre Haute.

Randy had to be the most personable fan/person I knew. One particular memory was during a trip I took out to Illinois by myself. Went up to Pecatonica IL.to watch some midget racing and then down to Bellville IL for some Midget racing the next night. I gave Morty a call and let him know I was heading down to Bellville that night for some midget racing, and hoped he would be able to join me. Not only did he say he'd come over to the races that night. But he also told me to swing by his house early to show me his place, along with the infamous Tracy Hines victory trophy.

When I stopped by Morty told me now that I was at his house, he might as well grill up some burgers for us. When he got ready to fire up the grill he found out he did not have any gas in the cylinder. But that did not stop him. He says "hey Hoosier you want a grand tour of East Alton". Hopped in his truck to run out and get a gas cylinder for the grill. He showed me the fire company he worked at. And one of the other dirt tracks just north of East Alton. But the funniest part was when he stops at a convenience store to get a new gas cylinder for the grill. Randy (A East Alton Fire Fighter) walks right into the store carrying the empty cylinder. And the clerk behind the counter tells him "Sir you're not allowed to bring the empty gas bottle into the store. After we walk out Randy does a face palm and says to me. "you'd figure I would know that being a fire fighter and all"

I will always cherish the memories I had when Randy "Morty" Mortand was at the races I attended.

Rest in peace Randy. you will be missed.

Bill Maurer
Last edited by slick38.5; 8/27/13 at 7:23 AM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Koonzee, monkeyboy, Vukie