View Single Post
Dick Monahan (Offline)
  #1 8/4/13 6:10 PM
Before I begin, I want to state that I am not specifically criticizing USAC. While I am moved to write by the terrible starts and restarts at Belleville this weekend, I believe this has been a problem since someone (who?) decided that the leader should start the race.

For the first 20 or 25 years of my involvement with racing, the starter started the race. That's why he's called the starter. Further, he did it near a point called the starting line. It seemed obvious to all interested parties.

If the field was not aligned properly, the starter did not wave the green flag. If it was simply a case of a driver passing too soon, he was penalized two finishing positions for each position advanced at the start.

The low point of starting practices occurred a few years ago when the WoO had restarts on the backstretch. At least they gave that up (I think; I haven't seen any WoO race except on TV for years).

I also don't like the double-file restarts or not keeping lapped cars in place. Following cars already get a huge advantage on a restart by making up any distance from the car in front; that's enough.

Going back to the old tried and true way would do away with the cone-on-a-rope, too.
12 Likes: bigq11, DaveP63, gearguy, Indy1808, JackSam40, jim goerge, mowerman, racefan20, SHORTBUS, spicoli, SprintManDave, TNRustler