View Single Post
JJMooney (Offline)
  #6 1/31/23 12:41 PM
Interesting. I like this topic. I’d say two tracks I saw sprint car races at that most on this board haven’t seen sprints at are:

LEBANON I-44 SPEEDWAY, Sleeper MO (9/15/2004) – USAC Sprint Cars: Best known for being a paved track, I-44 was covered with sticky, red clay for a very short time. I believe it was the only sprint race held here when it was dirt. There were a few USAC shows here when I-44 was pavement. However, in 2004, this was a Duke Cook promoted USAC dirt show. Wednesday night. Small crowd. Originally scheduled to be a 50-lap feature. I was at the driver’s meeting and the drivers were complaining about it being 50 laps. Duke argued, “USAC features were 50 laps in my day so that’s what we’re runnin’.” Tony Elliott got by Tim Kaeding with ten to go to win the feature which wound up being 30 laps anyway. The laps were reduced early on after there were way too many cautions getting the race going. It was kind of a cluster. The place was heavy, wet, with a big cushion. Plenty fast. The track is back to being pavement but only runs stock cars once-in-a-blue moon.

MID-AMERICA SPEEDWAY, South Coffeyville OK (8/15/2007) – Sprint Bandit Tour 'N Topless: Emmet Hahn’s non-wing, TNT series made a stop here at this remote 3/10 mile near the Kansas border. It was hot. Brutally hot. Like 110 degrees hot. And it wasn’t a dry heat either. In between hot laps and the heat races most, if not all, of the sparse crowd on hand stood in the shade of the concession stand roof. There was less than 100 spectators. Standing in that shade was what I remember most of that show. The race feature won by Chris Windom. I want to say Tim Kaeding was second. As you can imagine it was gritty, dusty, then the track laid rubber. Although, with all that said, I think it was a decent race. I couldn’t wait for the night to be over so I get to my car and turn on the a/c. The track has long since closed.
5 Likes: Blackduce, BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, OnTheHammer, oppweld