View Single Post
11/28/22, 2:51 PM   #6
Re: Will Kyle decide (last minute) to run Tulsa now???
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadrace_814 View Post
Unless I am forgetting something (Which definitely could be the case.), I do not think there are any rear engine racing series out there. If so, what am I missing?
There are actually way more than enough of these "rear engine racing series out there":

Indy Lights (now known as Indy NXT),
USF Pro 2000,
USF 2000,
USF Juniors (sanctioned by USAC),
FIA FR Americas (American Formula 3),
FIA Formula 4 (America),
SCCA F1600,
SCCA F2000,
Skip Barber Formula Race Series....

and I'm sure I missed a few. I long for the day when we see a few of our dirt track open wheel heroes dip their toes in to these waters, for then we may have real hope of seeing them compete in the Indianapolis 500. Instead, these days, we see people like CBell who simply say, "IndyCar teams don't want us (USAC guys)."; and to that, I say, "What have you done to show them that they should want you?". There's not a need for someone like CBell to run a whole series, but jump in one of these cars a couple times- if you're a serious talent, then you should run right at the front.

We used to see this some, not all that long ago. Kasey Kahne ran some of these before settling on NASCAR. Chad Boat and Davey Hamilton Jr. dabbled a bit chasing their father's footsteps. Chris Windom had a couple of cups of coffee, as did Jay Drake and a few others. Today, there's almost no one doing anything like this, except Brent Crews, who although he hasn't competitively raced a formula car yet, he has raced, and won, in the TransAm series.

[Sorry for the long post and potential highjacking of this thread, but the question posed hits a nerve for me.]

5 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, jdull99, PIT CART, TNRustler, TQ29m